Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Wednesday Wanderings...

I'm sitting here at work taking a bit of a break. I'm in a brown tweed-ish suit and heels. 

Yes, please pick yourself up off the floor. Heels. Our school president is coming, and it's not only "all hands on deck" but "best bib and tucker" too... Though I did tell my assistant that he didn't have to wear a tie. 

I happen to think turtlenecks and jackets are cool. And anyway, it's usually freezing in here - he should dress for the climate. 

The caterer is coming about 3:30 -- which usually means closer to FOUR thirty! I have my welcome sign, have my campus all lit up (will be making a point about the light fixtures that are not working, since our electrician's excuse is "he's busy") and have new potpourri in the big red serving bowl in my conference room. I just have to put away my lunch dishes; they're on the drying rack.

And tomorrow, I have to be here at 6 a.m. Urgh.

Knitting...

Working away at Sock #2. I have about 4 more rows for the cuff, then I switch to the leg and the k3, p1 ribbing. 

Call me crazy, but turning the heel still jazzes me. It's just like magic, and I don't have to do anything but what the instructions tell me! 

Politics...

OK, so the website doesn't work well for the ACA. But in some states it does. But in some places, like IL, it takes forever and it bumps you off. And yeah, we paid a gazillion dollars for this website. 

But it's not the LEGISLATION that's bad. It's the WEBSITE. We need to make it work, but we don't need to re-write everything from scratch. It is what it is and we have to live with it till something new evolves.

Quiz time: What legislation ever worked the first time out of the gate? 

Answer: None. Every bit of legislation has had its growing pains. Social Security did. Medicare did. All of it. The Americans with Disabilities Act did. 

Legislation is written by humans (if you want to call ALEC "human") and humans are not infallible, Pope notwithstanding. 

We've become a society with not only a nanosecond's worth of attention span, but ZERO patience. We want what we want. When we want it. And preferably BEFORE we even KNOW we want it. And we throw a tantrum when we don't get it. 

Over-aged toddlers.

Reading...

I want to know how J.K. Rowling did it. How did she hold herself back while writing the Potter books? Because both Casual Vacancy and Cuckoo's Calling are rife with the "F" bombs. 

Casual Vacancy was a slog. It wasn't truly engaging. It wasn't anything I'd read again - which is saying something. It seemed like a struggle to get myself into the story. And there wasn't really enough story to keep my attention. It was almost like something I'd write and I really stink at fiction.

Cuckoo -- I'm still working on that, and it seems slightly better. 

But still. I'm not sure that I'd wholeheartedly recommend either of them. I still think that everyone ought to re-read the books they read in high school. It's amazing what maturity does for your viewpoint about literature. 

Other stuff...

Wow - what happened to the afternoon? It clouded up like crazy, though there's nothing on the radar. 

I'm really enjoying the hand cream I have at work: Forest House Herbals has something they call Lavender Rosemary Shea Butter Cream. It's available at the Isabella catalog site. Click here to see the goodies they have. This is the catalog that I love to order from. 

This stuff is fantastic, even on my perpetually dry hands. And it smells yummy without being overpowering. 

I have a 2-day Yoga Therapeutics class this weekend. I have to ask about a student I've got; I don't know what to suggest for her, and I think this will help me answer her questions. I'm enjoying teaching and I have a nice sized class. I don't think I'd want more than the students I have - but we'll see how the class evolves.

Time to go pull out some tables and make a catering area. 

Random Picture...
Flirty Bug

It's a rather dreary day. How about some slug-bug cuteness? This was a car parked where I was having a meeting. I couldn't resist the eyelashes, and I believe she has the crystal eyeliner. 

If only I had that kind of panache for a 7 a.m. meeting! 

I told Hubby that I wanted to do that to my car and, let's just say...he didn't think it was a cool idea. 





No comments: