Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Not So Awesome...

I was all excited. I wanted to show off the completed Green Traveling Sock. I was going to tell you about this "Awesome!!" Star Toe Chart that I found on the internet, from a blog by a knitter. 

But.. 

(1) Not so awesome Star Toe chart... I have a "nubby toe" and I ended up finishing it with a 12-stitch Kitchener. 

(2) The decreases were row-by-row and the toe is tight. 

(3) And for some reason, the sock isn't long enough on the cuff, but it's the correct number of inches. 

Not a Happy Knitter... I know it happens. But it doesn't happen often to me, if I may say so. The toe of this one looks like the first Kitchener I ever did. 

There are a few positives:


  • I have a FINISHED sock.
  • I still kind of like the color...
  • It's not baggy.
As you can see on the head-on shot, the toe is more rounded, which is more comfortable. Which is why I wanted a star toe on this one. Kind of a nice change from the standard decreased toe. I've done them before, and I thought they were easy. 

Except, with research in 3 different directions, this  silly "Star Toe Chart" was the only thing I found. 

On my Sock Knitters group, someone just pointed me in the correct direction. Off I go to find the Vanilla Latte pattern - there's a star toe there. If they don't match? Doesn't matter. They're for me, and they'll be in shoes or boots. 

Now, I'm going to figure out which "complex" sock I want to finish. 

I have the "Bigger on the Inside" sock, which is sitting here in my project bag. I'm a little skittish - it looks as though I'm going to be playing Yarn Chicken with this one again. It's Lorna's Laces Sock yarn, so I'd like to assume that I'd have enough. But I think it might be really, really close. 

Then there's Petty Harbour. That one's only about 1/2 way down the cuff, so that's got a ways to go. 

There's the Soul to Soul - that one, I think I frogged. I'm looking forward to that one, actually, because I love the colorway, with the wide stripes. 

So once one of those are done, I can finish Green Traveling Sock - for a pair. Then I bounce back to whichever one of those I choose to take on next. I think I'm going to give my fingers a few days off - still working on the Before & After Scarf, but that's not as intense as a sock. 

Christmas Witch Hunt...

Today is an interesting day -- Paul Manafort is guilty on 8 counts. And Michael Cohen turned himself in and copped a plea. Cohen is saying that Donald "knew." He was directing Cohen. He was in on it up to his orange tan lines. 

The Manafort jury wasn't able to come to consensus on 10 of the 18 counts, but they managed to get these done:

  • 5 counts of tax fraud
  • 2 counts of bank fraud
  • 1 count failure to disclose foreign bank account
Seems that Mr. Manafort was counting on a presidential pardon. Only problem with that is, don't you have to be guilty to be pardoned? The innocent don't need a pardon. 

And Mr. Cohen. Well. Pleading guilty to illegal campaign contributions "at the direction of a candidate for federal office."

Got a feeling that it wasn't Hillary...

While someone wasn't mentioned by name in court or in documents, one of Cohen's lawyers later said that Cohen "testified under oath that D*** Tr### directed him to commit a crime."

(Sorry about the symbols. It's kind of a point of honor that He Who Shall Not Be Named not have his name on my blog.). 

I'm almost afraid to see the spin that's going to happen. We're already dealing with global warming. But with the amount of spin and Twitter-versing we'll be seeing? Surely the earth will heat up as it tips on its axis. 

Agent Orange was at a West Virginia rally. Because, you know, there's nothing else he's gotta do. He's done presidenting at what? Lunchtime? He surely doesn't put in the days he told us he would. I mean, really, he said he was going to work harder than President Obama. 

Only things he's working harder at are his Twitter account and his golf game. And you can't deny the statistics about how much time he's spending - and how much of our money he's billing - um, sorry, bilking us out of - by going to his own properties. You know, those properties that were likely funded by Russian money, and which he never divested himself of. 

The goons at the West Virginia rally are shown in some viral videos chanting, "Lock her up!" Seriously. 

What frightens me, in a very narrow scope, because so many things lately frighten me, is that indeed, as was once said, he could shoot someone on live television, with a million people watching him in Times Square and ... nothing. 

McConnell has no soul; they're ramming through a Supreme Court justice who would likely exonerate him of any crimes he'd be convicted of, in spite of an airtight investigation by Mueller. 

His rabid followers would riot in the streets. There'd be chaos. 

How do people continue to support him? How have people sunk so low and gotten so stupid? 

I have no idea. But it scares me. 

Selenite Tower...

I was rock hunting. Well, I'm kind of getting a thing for rocks, gems, and stones. This selenite was found in the Garden of the Gods gift shop. Kid #2 bought one, too, and the other day, he came by and tossed this little square thing in my lap. Turns out he bought one for himself, and it runs on a USB cord out of your computer, or using some AAA batteries. 

Selenite is an interesting mineral. The tower is actually quite fragile. Named after the Greek goddess Selene, goddess of the moon. When it's not hot pink, lit from below, it's a blazing white - not solid, though, it's somewhat translucent. You can see the "shards" of the stone if you look closely. 

I had the little stand on "moving" colors, so it kept rotating through 5 or 6 colors. 

Reportedly, selenite is good to quiet your mind. Heaven knows I need that lately!

It balances the body and emotions. Good for mental and emotional flexibility, too. Of course, some folks go all the way over the edge and claim it's good to help one get pregnant (sorry, that ship has sailed!) and that it can help cancer. 

Let's be real. It's a cool stone, makes me happy to look at. And it's pretty. 

That's about all I ask of my stones. I know folks believe in a lot of the "stone or crystal lore" but I'm not there, thanks. 

I like to hold them, and I like to display them. I do think some have properties that can help, but I'm not all hog-wild about telling my cardiologist that if I just hold that garnet a little closer to my heart, I'll be all fixed up...

A Rose is a Rose...

Unless it's a metal rose. I got these from my friend C when she attended the Bristol Renaissance Fair. She had several of these roses and talked me into them -- it wasn't hard, once she showed me these. These are the 2018 "special" colors of Sunrise and Sunset. 

I'll say that I was a tad disappointed - they're kind of small, for what I paid. And I know  - they're art, and art costs. Just that they looked bigger on the website. 

I had her get me one full blown and one half-blown, mainly due to the cost, because I also apparently needed the vase. The roses are very top-heavy, and so is the vase. 

There's a little black pad in the center of each rose. Those hold a drop or two of essential oil. Of course, I have my lovely Young Living Essential Oil in Rose -- a drop of that would be amazing on these buds. Right now, they're sitting in front of my TV. I haven't decided where they'll land yet. I have a couple of options. 

Of course, I could clean up my desk in my home office and put them there...I think eventually they'll land there, but I can't promise that'll be soon. 

You can see that one has the rose gold at the tips and the other has the rose gold at the bottom. I can't remember which is "sunrise" and which is "sunset." I got them because they remind me vaguely of peace roses. 

I lost my entire rose garden a couple of years ago. I'd spent years planting roses in honor of people that we'd lost.  I noticed over the last 2 years that I had the garden that the roses were, in a word, 'pathetic.' I had over 100 rose bushes. I had people all over the neighborhood coming to see my garden. I used to bring a dozen roses to work easily, and I enjoyed the scent and the beauty. 

But they got scraggly. Turns out I had a ground fungus. Turns out that it destroyed my roses. And it turns out that it started with my huge maple tree. I'm not getting rid of the maple. Even if I did, the fungus is in the roots. 

So. No roses. Instead, I've got a natural garden; none of the native plants seems particularly bothered by the fungus, and they're all thriving. 

But I miss my roses. 

Random Picture...

Crazy husky. Hubby tossed the bone into Quinn's cave and Raisa got it out. He did it a couple of times, and then put the bone on the couch. 

She was convinced that it was still in there. 

I showed her the bone on the couch. She looked at it. I could truly see the wheels whirling in her brain. 

And then she went back to trying to find it in the cave. She wouldn't believe that the bone wasn't there, in spite of evidence to the contrary. 

Much like those who think that Agent Orange is truly innocent of collusion when every shred of evidence seems to point in that direction. 

Luckily, my dog can be convinced otherwise. Eventually. 

Hopefully, those folks who refuse to see what's before their own eyes will eventually get woke and figure out which way the wind is blowing. 












No comments: