Tuesday, August 07, 2018

It's Not the Sushi...

Yeah. Not the sushi or the poorboy. Seems like there's something long-term and uncomfortable going on here. I see the doctor next week; yeah - enough so that I want to actually see a doctor. 

I'm not tossing my cookies, thankfully, but it's like every time I eat - anything I eat - I need to run to the bathroom shortly thereafter. And for a couple of hours after that. 

That can't be right. I'm dreading being told it's some variety of IBS - my sister has that and her life is one long commute back and forth to the bathroom. No thanks. Not like I have much choice, but I'm hoping that perhaps it's stress-related. 

So if things calm down soon, which they should, now that The Vicar is here, maybe life will get back to normal. Or what passes for normal around here. 

I have not, in case you're wondering, done "the google" or WebMD. I don't think that's wise. It only makes you nuts. I'll wait on the doc. 

Maybe I'll actually lose a few pounds... 

How to Use Your Turn Signal...

There's actually a wiki on this. I'm serious. Here it is. Maybe some folks will need this. The issue I have is that I drive up to Lisle sometimes, and it's incredible that people don't know what that knob is on the left hand side of their steering wheel.  

There are a few more rules of the road that I really, really need people to pay attention to. For your perusal, I'll outline them here. 

1.  Use your turn signal. Obvious. Use it. 

2.  Use your rear-view and side-view mirrors WHILE using your turn signal. Come on, you can probably text and walk, so you can surely flick on the signal, and check to see if someone's occupying the space you wish to occupy. Physics - you've gotta have an empty place because two vehicles that occupy the same space actually is an accident...

3.  This should actually be Number One: Put down the phone. Put. Down. The. Phone. There need be no other addendum to this. 

4.  Be aware of what's around you. I'm going to let the semi truck in - he's bigger than me. I don't appreciate you ramming your way past my front quarter-panel. Seriously. Take your turn. 

These are simple rules that will keep all of us safe on the road. 

Knitting Process...

So I think I may have a new process here. Well, it's not new but it's new to me. I had an epiphany the other day. As I turned the heel of the Green Sock, I realized I was kind of buzzing on with that and I knew I was having a problem with Second Sock Syndrome. I have the Petty Harbour, the Bigger on the Inside, the Soul to Soul... All singles. 

I need to make a PAIR. So I came up with this thought. How about I finish this one, and then pick one of the others to finish? Then I finish the next Green Sock. Then I finish another one of the "complex" patterns. 

I can always have a Vanilla sock on the needles. I keep the "complex" (anything other than a simple ribbed leg) ones at home. 

In between, I finally decided to finish off the Before And After scarf. It's been my "travel project" for about 5 years now, and it's time to wrap it up. At least the peacock colored part. Then I start on the chartreuse one. Again - not sure why I liked that combo - I look horrible in yellow. I can only hope that the peacock colorway overshadows the chartreuse. I mean there's chartreuse in the peacock part, but I want it all to balance out. It's a double scarf - two layers. So I think it's going to be lovely, but it's also my first attempt at a provisional cast-on, and beading. This could be interesting. 

I have heard that other knitters do this "alternating socks" thing. Nice to know that it's not just me. 

How My Garden Grows...

So my lettuce is done. The romaine did its thing, and it's time to let it go to seed. The basil is done. The dill is dried. And remarkably, the parsley is back! After the caterpillars ate it to the nub? It's back. Beautifully, if I may say so. 

The flowers are now looking ragged. The hanging pots are just about done. The hummingbirds have found the new feeder, thankfully, but the hanging pots - somehow, lately, they don't last the season, in spite of our watering them every day. 

The tomatoes? They're coming along nicely. I've gotten a nice bowl of the large cherry tomatoes, and as you can see, they're still producing. I'm hoping they'll go into the fall, but you never know. 

The larger tomatoes are ripening, too. I have a red one. And I think I have a yellow one, but I haven't seen them yet. We have lots of green ones, but we have to wait. I think the yellow ones take a bit longer to ripen. 

Hubby just asked what I'm going to do with them. Well, none of them are good for sauce, so I'm going to be the "Crazy Tomato Lady," and give them away. Let's see how many people take me up on it. 

Hubby has dreams of BLT sandwiches. I admit, I do too, in my own way. Heaven knows, if we play this right, we'll have enough tomatoes. I've got lots of uncured bacon in the freezer. I'll be using romaine lettuce, and wheat bread. And homemade mayo. 

Man, I'm drooling as I type this!  Speaking of which, lunch lately (and sometimes dinner) now includes the cherry tomatoes. 

When I come home from teaching, I don't want a huge meal. I want something, though, because I don't want to be munching on my pillow in the night! Usually, a sandwich does the trick. 

This wasn't after class, but it was a late lunch. Turkey on rye with Swiss, a handful of "veggie chips," and a handful of lovely cherry tomatoes. It really was pretty good. Satisfying, and I was not feeling "bloaty" like I do when I eat something heavier. 

See the beginning of the blog... 


Random Picture...

The parsley... As you can see, it's come back so beautifully! I'm always excited to see a lovely pot of herbs. And this is the best I've grown in a number of years. 

I think the herb pots will stay here next year. They love the afternoon sun, and it works well, even though I lost a batch to the caterpillars. 

I believe in sharing, so it really doesn't bother me to lose a batch. And especially since, if we're lucky, we'll get Swallowtail butterflies? And heck, the parsley grew back. 

So share. It's not a big deal. 

With this bounty, I think it's time to whip up some pesto. I have walnuts in the freezer, and I can blitz it up nicely. Adding the cheese after I thaw it and get it ready for use. 

So you add the parsley, a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, and a couple cloves of garlic. Blitz. Add some walnuts for texture. Blitz again. Freeze it. 

When you thaw it, you can then add the shredded parm. Parmesan doesn't freeze well in pesto, so you don't want to add it till you're going to use it. 

You can also freeze the whole thing in ice cube trays. The oil won't freeze solid, but it'll get kind of there. I like to use bags; snack-sized zipper bags are my favorite. Put the snack-sized ones inside a larger bag and grab what you need. 

How do you use an abundance of herbs? 








No comments: