Saturday, August 25, 2018

End of an Era...

You know it's bad when someone says, "So-and-So is discontinuing treatment." Or "So-and-So has entered hospice care." You think, "Oh, it'll be a while."

But not. Both Aretha Franklin and John McCain died swiftly after their respective representatives issued statements saying that there was a dramatic change in their circumstances. 

John McCain's camp actually said he was ending treatment for brain cancer yesterday. He died today, around 4:28 p.m. 

And I totally get it. Who wants to be dogged as you're in the process of dying. Both Franklin and McCain died of cancer: Franklin's was pancreatic. You just had to take a look at her in her last performance (linked here) to see she was a shell of herself. While she had total command of the stage, her voice was clearly not where it was. This was 9 months before she died. The average survival rate for pancreatic cancer is -- just about 9 months. I know. My dad died of pancreatic cancer. 

McCain, who died earlier this afternoon, was a figure who was almost unilaterally respected. If you didn't agree with him, you had to admit that his arguments were almost always classy. He never resorted to petty name-calling, mocking, or other things we routinely see from the White House lately. I rarely agreed with him, and it's not like we had coffee every week, but I understood for the most part where he was coming from. I wished he wasn't so wishy-washy on some things, and wished he'd have decided otherwise on other things. 

But you had to admit that, for the most part, he had principles and was mostly the "maverick" he made himself out to be. 

The Governor of Arizona needs to appoint someone - who will serve till 2020. And who, apparently, has to be a Republican. It's going to be interesting. 

Great Prison Break-In...

Tonight was the Great Prison Break-In...the first fundraiser for the work we've been doing at the old Joliet prison. The crowds were polite and steady. Kid #2 and I were there, but we didn't stay long; he's got an hour drive home, and we were able to see what we wanted to see and take some photos. 

Folks were settling on the grounds with their folding chairs, and in the various tents placed around. The first band was rocking when we were there - there were 4 bands scheduled, including - of course, the Blooze Brothers...

If you aren't aware, the Old Joliet Prison was a pivotal location for "The Blues Brothers" movie. I have a picture of Joliet Jake's cell and we entered through the sallyport that Jake took when he left on his Mission from God. 

The Prison Kitties  (Jake and Elwood - Ellie for short, since she's a girl) were on display with a big bucket for donations for their care. They were feral kittens found by volunteers. These little stinkers managed to make their way (or mom brought them, most likely) to the front of the prison, where Mamma Kitty lives in the far back, under a ramp. They almost died. 

I believe they're being rehabbed and will be up for adoption soon. They're darling little beasties, and Kid # 2 said, "The trouble with kittens is that they turn into cats." They're going to be terrors. Hopefully, they get a home together. 

SAC building
We were only allowed in 2 buildings: SAC (Solitary Confinement) and into one penned area where we got a glimpse of the cells. Of course, as a volunteer, I was all over the place when we worked, but tonight, it was all blocked off and locked up. Which it should have been. There's stuff in there that'll hurt you or kill you; the public doesn't need to be there yet. 

So the "tour" through SAC was literally walking in the front door, peering into the cells that were open (many were locked shut) and walking out. You got to see the ancient cell they had, and there were lovely display boards all over the place. 

Kid #2 wants to volunteer for the continued clean-up and I spoke to one of the organizers. They're taking a few weeks off - as they should because this was an INCREDIBLE amount of work (you may have seen some of the pics I posted before), and Lord knows these folks need to relax a little!

It's going to be an amazing place. 

Knitting...

So I started a prayer shawl. I had the yarn, and I needed a break from socks for a bit. I have to say that I'm surprised. This is on huge needles, and I really can't knit with them for a long time, because they're stressful on the hands. 

But it's working up nicely. This is Lion Brand Hometown USA yarn - a super-bulky weight in Washington Denim. It's kind of periwinkle. I love how the K1 Y/O on the ends makes a "rope" with this size of yarn. It's a great texture. 

It's acrylic, which is fine. You want easy care in a prayer shawl, so that the person getting it doesn't have to futz with it. 


I'm hoping to get it done in the next few days, actually. It's zipping along, all things considered. I'll put in a big pile of knitting tomorrow, and see how it goes. 

The pattern is a Simple Triangle - it's a Lion pattern. The original pattern is for smaller needles, but I figured what the heck... I have 4 balls of this yarn; and it has to get to 36" from the cast on. So it's super simple:

Cast on 3 stitches. Knit 1 row, then Row 2 is K1, YO, knit to end. By adding those YOs you get a lovely "lace" bit on the edges. You just keep knitting, repeating Row 2. With this bulky yarn, the rows add up fast. You knit till it's about 35-ish inches from cast on and then bind off loosely. This yarn won't even need blocking! 

I really do have someone in mind for this; I'll get it blessed and we'll see about getting it delivered. I like this shape and I'm really liking the drape of this fabric. Of course, it helps that I'm doing it inside, with the AC on! It's still August, and tomorrow's supposed to be beastly, in time for the full moon. 

It's a great mindless knit while I watch the old Dr. Who series. I feel really bad for that "Traveler Scarf" that Tom Baker wears as his doctor's costume. The man is stomping on it half the time!! He's one of my favorite doctors, but jeeze - that scarf!! I'd love to do that one day, when I'm in the mood for TWELVE FEET of mindless garter stitch... It's not a great picture of him, but it's a fantastic picture of the scarf. 

I love the mythology of this garment. Apparently, the BBC plopped this big box of yarn in front of some woman, and told her "we need a scarf." She used ALL the yarn. This is now an iconic piece of Whovian lore. Imitations abound, and to really make it can cost a small fortune if you're looking for the exact yarns. It's on my Knitting Bucket List. That and Orenberg lace...

Not sure when I'll get to either of them, but I'm thinking that in the long run, 12 feet of garter is going to be more accessible than learning to read an Orenberg lace chart and then knitting it with smaller-than-spider-web yarn. 

In the Kitchen...

I'm addicted to the Starbucks Green Tea Latte. I mean seriously addicted. I get them unsweetened and I thought I was being very virtuous. I made them at home and of course noticed a taste difference. After some digging, I found that the "unsweetened" version had -- hang on to your hat -- about 14 grams of SUGAR in it. The matcha powder they use has sugar in it. Seriously. Unsweetened my rear leg. How in the world do people drink it SWEET??

After drinking some godawful combinations I worked on, I've finally figured out a home-based alternative. 

I take about 2 heaping teaspoons of pure matcha powder (not a "drink" powder, but pure matcha), put it in a jar, and add a little unsweetened almond or almond/coconut milk. Shake the living daylights out of it.... Add more almond milk till it's about 14-15 ounces and then shake again. If you need sugar, either put a tiny dab of honey in there (organic or pure - check the label) or a couple crystals of rock sugar in there. You don't need much. Shake the daylights out of it again to mix in your preferred sweetener and pour over ice. I think if I used sweetened almond milk, I wouldn't want to add any further sweet to it. Matcha is delicate as it is. You don't want to make it disappear. 

I still make the hot matcha with water and a drizzle of the almond milk. Since I'm off dairy, I want to keep the lovely energy of the matcha but I don't want the dairy or calories of half & half. 

The other night, I was looking for something to do with cauliflower rice. I found a Spanish Rice dish and I added to it (of course). Again, since I'm off dairy, there's no cheese in here (which would've been delicious!). I was a bit heavy-handed with the Penzey's Arizona Dreaming spice blend, so it's kinda hot. But I added sliced green olives and a couple drops of Young Living Essential Oils Lime Vitality oil. The Vitality oil line is specifically designed to ingest. 

The taste and scent of limes was so lovely! It actually cut the heat a tad. I'm going to make this again, but not so heavy on the hot. 

It's good with avocado slices or with guacamole. I would have used sour cream, but...dairy... 

I had it with chicken tonight. It's "plan-over" (not left-over) and I ate it yesterday with some salmon. 

I like finding new ways to use cauliflower rice. I don't rice it myself; I could. I have a lovely Vita-Mix and it would be simple to do it. But it's simpler to buy the bag. I may try it, but I'm honestly afraid I'm going to have "cream of cauliflower soup" by mistake... 

Random Picture...

Someone posted a pic on Pinterest which ended upon Facebook regarding using "vintage recipes" as kitchen decor. Duh... 

Got that one. I give you my father's potica recipe,which has been hanging in my kitchen for about 18 years. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to pry his rolling pin (solid oak with ball bearings) out of my mother's hands, despite me being the potica baker in the family... But I wouldn't hang that on the wall anyway. That gets its own drawer. Someday. 

This was his handwritten recipe. It's one page long. The actual recipe for potica is about 4 pages long. He lists ingredients, barely lists amounts, and says, "Bake at 350."

I'm sorry the picture is a bit keystoned. As you can see, the flash spot is below the actual picture. Otherwise, it was right in the middle. 

There's a story... My sister and I each got some handwritten recipes from my dad and we both had them framed. Hers was neater... Mine was folded up (this is looseleaf paper) and crusty. Dad wasn't a neat cook. 

The poor framer at Michael's actually looked at me as if I was crazy. She did a beautiful job and I love it. 

What would you do with a family favorite recipe? Any other ideas?








No comments: