Saturday, August 18, 2018

It was the Sushi after all...

Well. Doctor says that I apparently had food poisoning. And, one of the "fun things" about food poisoning is that you can have "IBS-like" symptoms. For upwards of a month. 

Holy crap. Literally and figuratively. 

So, I had the lovely "poop test" that I had to finish and the doctor has asked me to "rest and reset" my gut. No dairy, no gluten, nothing packaged or artificial. Cleaner than clean. 

Oh, and I got beat up about both my blood pressure and my weight. Well. The weight I'll give them. Luckily, at least a month of clean eating will certainly fix the weight issue. Here's my story on the BP, for anyone who chooses to use it themselves... 

For some reason, I thought it was a good idea to make 2 appointments on the same day, something like 30 miles away, which wouldn't be an issue, but it's all cross-town driving, which around here can take hours. 

I got up at 4 a.m. for a 7 a.m. physical. Got there, got that done, and was watching the clock because I had a 9 a.m. cardiologist appointment... BP was high then - driving to that doctor's office was certainly a challenge with the rush hour traffic. Went off to the cardiologist, got there FIVE MINUTES before my appointment... Wonder why the BP was high??

Anyway, I'm watching it for a week, and we'll see how it goes. 

Gardening...

Well. The tomatoes this year are making up for the several years where we had "all hat and no cattle..." In other words, too much vine, too few fruits... 

Not this year. Getting bowls and bowls of cherry tomatoes; the bigger ones - nice and fruity. 

The larger tomatoes are coming gradually, which I like. Of course, I know we'll be bombarded with tomatoes at the end of the season. 

Still waiting on the yellow tomatoes, which I checked on yesterday and this morning. We may have some of those in the next few days. 

I don't know if we'll can anything, because I'm still not sure what we'll end up with. Right now, we're eating what we're plucking. 

Still disappointed by the radish failure - but there you go. The perils of gardening. The carrots? They're coming along and I know I should have thinned them more. But I didn't. I don't know if it's too late - probably not, just have to get out there. 


And the strawberries? Not going to grow those again. Too fussy and not giving us anything much to be jazzed about. 

The parsley has come back! I used it in a Whole 30 "Dump Ranch" which has that lovely peppery taste from this herb.

I got some "ready to eat" quinoa the other day and it had pesto in it...yeah, I realized later that there was a bit of Parm in it. Yikes...  I can't tell if it bothered me. Probably not. 

Anyway, this parsley will be used for more Dump Ranch, and will be sealed in our food sucker thingie and frozen for winter use. 

I'm happy it came back. The basil is done, and the Rosemary is doing just fine. It kind of likes the lack of rain we've had, so I'm just leaving it alone. That will also be frozen. Maybe I'll also infuse some oil? Thinking about that. 

 Knitting...


The Green Sock progresses down the foot. I was kind of shocked. The other day I picked up my hunk of Labradorite and noticed how the green sheen seemed to match the Green Sock! It's my "mindless knitting" at this point, as I work my way down the foot. 

After this, I'll pick up the Petty Harbour sock and get one of those done. Switch back to the Green Sock, finish that pair, then pick up either Petty Harbour, or start another simple sock. I figure alternating socks will result in me having pairs sooner rather than later - I've got too many "singletons" laying around. 

I've also picked up the "Before and After Scarf" for a work project. It's easier because it's all "increase on one side, decrease on the other" to get a bias shape. 

Still a little worried about the beading on the bottom of that scarf, though - because the provisional cast on at the beginning was a bit wonky. I used a larger yarn than I should have. Being that that was ages and ages ago, I can put that down to "not knowing what I was doing" because it's the first provisional cast on I did. 

Proof that when you know better, you do better. 

Lucky for me, I've kept the beads in the same bag -- I was worried a bit ago that I'd lost the beads, but in another lifetime, I must have decided to keep them together. Probably because I had ended up buying another copy of the pattern - it went astray and I couldn't find it. 

The colors in the photo are a bit off; that green is actually more yellow in tone, which is why I'm having a qualm about it. Not sure if it was a good idea. Too late now... If I do this again, which will probably be for a gift, and that's a BIG, BIG "if" - I'd probably do something different. This is a lot of knitting, though - not sure that I know of anyone knit-worthy for this. Maybe if one of the kids finally gets married.

Maybe. 

Migraine Menace...

Unfortunately, with everything going on - I ended up with a migraine. So, with the detox, lack of sleep, weather going nuts - yesterday, after work, I succumbed and tried everything to not take the Rx because I was really hoping it would go away. It didn't. 

I felt guilty. Imagine that. Feeling guilty about something I had no control over. Why do we do this to ourselves? I did admit to a slight conundrum. One of the things that really helps is a flat Coke. But - no sugar for the detox.

I did drink a lot of tea. Hydration helped. So did the prickly pillow (an acupuncture pillow Hubby got me). So did the "traction" he did on my neck. And so did about 8 hours of sleep. 

This morning, I went out and did 2 hours at the prison, coming home after my tummy started growling. No thanks on the Port-a-Jon.... 

I asked Hubby when I last had a headache this bad. He couldn't remember. I think it's been at least 6 months. That's a record for me! Especially off the Keppra. 

Collusion and the First Amendment...

OK, so recently, over 300 newspapers ran editorials wagging their fingers at Agent Orange, because of his relentless assaults on the free press. 

There are a few things... I wish that they wouldn't give him so much press. I know - sounds crazy, right. But stop reacting. What made me giggle (and giggles have been in extremely short supply what with everything going on) was his tweet about "colluding against me" in regard to the massive editorials scolding him. 

Yes. The press did collude against the idiot in the White House. Because they want to save the FIRST Amendment. Everyone's so crazed about the Second Amendment, but they forget about the fact that the Founding Fathers made the First one the "first" for a reason. 

Freedom of the press to speak truth to power. Freedom of the press to call out bogus information and clarify what's really happening. Our problem has been the permutation of "news" and "opinion" - when reporters were asked for opinions, it all kind of went somewhere. Somewhere not good. 

People don't research. We love to have people agree with us and when we find a news channel, a newspaper, a website...anything that proves we're "right" - we hang onto it. Sometimes in spite of proof otherwise. 

I'm just as guilty. We all are. 

Reverting back to "news as news" and "opinion as opinion" would be a start. Also, perhaps we need to have conversations again. Real, honest conversations. 

I'm having a problem with wanting to clean up DC at the same time I want to bring civility back to our lives, and at the same time, I'd kind of like to avoid nuclear war. And I'd like a mid-term election that won't be hacked by Russia. 

Can we do it all simultaneously? I'm afraid we have to. Otherwise, America as we know it will cease to have existed. We're near that tipping point now. 

Maybe we've passed it. 

The only place to go now is back up. 

If we can. 

Random Picture...

A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... Oh, wait. Wrong story. 

A long, long time ago, when I worked for a university and thought I'd stay there forever, I used to enjoy seeing wildlife outside. We backed into a forest preserve. We used to see deer and the occasional turtle. 

And one day, as I left for somewhere, I saw a hawk. Well, we often saw hawks, because of the bunnies and other small animals. This one, however, had caught his lunch. 

As I drove by him, he stopped in mid-bite, and looked at me. With those piercing eyes. With that attitude of, "Yes, I did kill the vole, and yes, I'm enjoying my lunch." I just took the picture and kept on driving. 

I miss seeing the wildlife. We don't see them where I work now. I saw a hawk at my friend's house and I occasionally see them along the highway. But I miss having them as "neighbors."








No comments: