Thursday, February 13, 2014

Please Tell Me It's the Full Moon...

...but I doubt it. This story just sets my teeth on edge, and I see it's time for a little history lesson, just to refresh people's memories.

It appears that some Republican wants to pass a law in Idaho that would allow doctors and cops to refuse to help LGBT folks. 

Yes, I'm serious. No, it's not The Onion. 

A spokesperson from the ACLU says it is "a law in search of a problem." 

I think it's totally idiotic. 

Let's review, kids.... Doctors first. They take an oath. It's called the Hippocratic Oath and while it's not mandatory, a vast majority of medical students, upon being granted the title "Doctor" do take a form of this oath. 

Here are two sentences from one translation of the Oath:

I will prescribe regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and never do harm to anyone.

And...

Whatever houses I may visit, I will come for the benefit of the sick, remaining free of all intentional injustice, ...

Soooooo.... Taking this to its logical conclusion, we can say that "do no harm" is the "Prime Directive" - to use a Star Trek term. The physician vows to do no harm and prescribe for the good of the patient. The physician also vows that he or she "come(s) for the benefit of the sick, remaining free from all INTENTIONAL injustice..." (there's also the last phrase of this sentence which deals with sexual relations with patients, but that's not particularly relevant here). 

Hippocrates was an ancient Greek physician - often seen as the father of Western medicine. He lived from 460 BC to 370 BC. While it's not confirmed that he wrote the oath (perhaps it was one of his students), it is popularly regarded that this is the basic tenet of all medical professionals. 

Let's look at the "remaining free from all intentional injustice" thingie: You, Idaho, are telling us that refusing to treat LGBT patients is not  unjust... Really? 

The proposed law does have a caveat for emergency rooms, but what I want to know is, what is wrong with Idaho??

Now, the cops:  This is the oath of honor suggested by the International Association of Chiefs of Police. Please look at the highlighted sentence after the oath.

On my honor,
I will never betray my badge,
my integrity, my character, 
or the public trust.
I will always have
the courage to hold myself
and others accountable for our actions.
I will always uphold the constitution 
and community I serve.
Before any officer takes the Law Enforcement Oath of Honor, it is important that he understands what it means. An oath is a solemn pledge someone makes when he sincerely intends to do what he says.
I rather like the last line of that oath: "I will always uphold the constitution and community I serve."
So again: WHAT is wrong with Idaho? Last I read, the Constitution doesn't say anything about LGBT citizens being classed as "less than" - though I'm sure that the Tea Party would certainly like to put that somewhere.
I suggest that the Tea Party certainly put that somewhere. Perhaps where one of "Transvaginal Bob's" probes might go. 
See the highlighted area? "...sincerely intends to do what he says." While I'm certain that Representative Luker is not a cop, I'm pretty sure he "sincerely intends to do what he says." 
No matter that it's stupid. Does the State of Idaho have nothing else to legislate on, that it has to find laws to pass for problems that don't exist? All the states should be so lucky.
Valentine's Day...
Nothing special going on here. Hubby asked me if I was getting him a card. I confessed (and he should remember this) that I always have a stash of cards. So he says, 'I guess I'd better get you one, too.' --No lack of sentiment, just that sometimes we don't celebrate on "mandated" holidays. 
Happy Valentine's Day!
However, TIPPI is ready... TDI asked us to post Valentine's Day pictures of our dogs. Well, last year, I did dress her up, and this year, this was the picture I had on my phone. It was actually an old Halloween costume, but hey - it's pink. It fits. She's anxious for her Valentine's Day date. Or sardines. She's easy to please. 
I've started to drink Yogi Tea - mostly, "re-started" since it's a box I bought quite some time ago. It's a Detox blend, which is kind of pungent, to say the least. 
The teabag tags have sayings on them, and today's was this one:
"Live for each other."
Nice sentiment, and perfectly seasonal. Now, what are the odds that I'd pick that one out of the box?
Come to think of it, I haven't done anything for Valentine's Day for ages. Aside from, one year, buying my assistant and student workers a card and a chocolate bar. Heck, it snuck up on me this year anyway. My yoga teacher and I were talking about a "Valentine's Special" thing she wanted to do and I suggested something... she said, "You do realize Valentine's Day is this Friday?"
Ummmm... Obviously not. 

Knitting...
Teal Sock
The second Teal Sock is on the needles!!! I've got the first K rows done - I do that to create ease when I wear them. If you see the first sock there, there's a tiny bit of roll at the tip. That's 3 rows of knit. I read that trick and then I talked to an experienced sock knitter who said that those rows help particularly on DPNs because you tend to knit tighter at the beginning, and then you've got "strangled calves" when you actually wear the socks. 
There's an interesting project that my friend Doris said something about. Which I'm telling you now I wouldn't do. It's a mitered-square afghan made from leftover sock yarn. So I'm going to see if I can dig up some of my leftovers. I'm kind of done with the Easter eggs! 
But it's an interesting concept...However, I wonder how long it would take you to knit, square by square, an afghan on somewhere around size 3 needles?? 
I did Google it and some of the images are gorgeous. But again - it's kind of like pushing a cooked spaghetti noodle up a mountain with your nose. 
I should try to learn mitered squares. The applications are quite numerous and while I doubt I'd do something large, a purse would be kind of cool. And it wouldn't have to be sock yarn. I saw a lovely felted purse made out of DK-weight or the like; it used a color scheme of tones of grey-to-black. 
Here's what an afghan looks like. If I ever was to do something like this, I do like this version where the squares are two different sizes. I think it adds a nice texture to the piece and I also like the fact that all of these colors are mixed. 
It's a crazy-quilt effect, which is totally cool. If I quilted, I would love to do crazy quilts. 
But this is kind of overboard. Well...maybe not if it's a baby-sized fabric, or a car-seat-cover sized one. But still -- that's a lot of sock yarn leftovers. 
The Biggest Loser...
...is a loser not in a good way. Click here, if you haven't seen the story. I'll tell you: I have always, ALWAYS had trouble with my own weight. It's a demon. 
But this show scares me. I have seen trailers and read stories, but I have never watched it. If that makes me lose any credibility for commenting, so be it. 
This woman, Rachel Frederickson, lost 60% of her body weight. She lost as much as I would like to weigh!! 
Even the trainers were shocked. She said that during the last phase of the competition, she worked out "3 hours a day and consumed 1,600 calories per day." Ummmmmmm. Not normal. She says she's "very healthy" and profiles have shown that she was athletic and not a couch-potato. 
But this loss is just over-the-top. Comments have ranged from, "Hey, she won $250,000" to "Can you say eating disorder?"
I am wondering when the show will have their first death. I'm serious. The people they have on the show are, in my mind, past the "morbidly obese" stage and I get this: It's a contest. But I also get that people tend to get crazy and I wonder if there will come a day when a candidate actually just drops dead. 
Heartbeats
I've always had that concern about the show. And in a way, that's why I've never watched. I don't feel comfortable "endorsing" or "supporting" this way of losing weight. I'd rather it be more sensible. 
Random Picture...
A cardiac nurse friend of mine sent this to me. I think it's adorable and if I had time, and was inclined, and Valentine's Day wasn't Friday??? This could happen. 
My mom tells me that she has now been diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation. Welcome, mom, to the Sucky Gene Pool - come on in, the water's fine.
By the way, the Detox Tea is much better with a little agave syrup in it. It's more mellow than at first. 
Have a great Valentine's Day! 













No comments: