Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Knitting Not Working...

No, I don't mean "Knitting, not working." 

I mean Knitting NOT working. As in "not working as planned." It happens, in spite of what I'd like to think. I've confessed to a few knitting bloopers here and there. And I've got another one... The Emergency One Day Hat. It's getting partially frogged. 

Remember, I had the "brilliant" idea of using Fun Fur yarn? Well. I did a few rows. It turns out that all the "fur" was on the INSIDE... 

This shot is the inside. I kept hoping that it would "shake out" but it's not quite working that way. I kept on, but it was getting more and more aggravating. 

I ended up taking a size 1 DPN and pulling the fibers - what I could pull, forward. Not the best idea. I wasn't going to keep doing that 4 times per round. 

So I set it aside in favor of doing a quick little project, which I'll explain below. 

This shot here is what the OUTSIDE looks like, and as you can see, I could shake this thing till doomsday and while the Plymouth Encore has phenomenal stitch definition and will be a nice warm hat? 

The Fun Fur's gotta go. Maybe I'll fiddle with another scarf with this stuff. People like them, even though they're a pain to knit. 

But I have to do something to redeem the hat. I liked the "fun fur" idea, but maybe it's just not appropriate with the weight of this yarn. It's too stiff to knit, and I'm not spending my time pulling fur.

The project I'm working on, along with the mitts, is what our priest is calling "Prayer Squares." I call them "Prayer Patches." Either way, what she's doing is expanding our Prayer Shawl Ministry. I would love to knit more prayer shawls, but you all know I'm not the speediest knitter!

These are little squares. They can be knitted or crocheted. A few inches wide and a few inches high. I'm doing a bunch of different sizes, and they're really going fast. Finally. I will likely stick to straight up knit, though I can do stockinette, if I put a knitted border around it. Just so they lay straight. Yes, I could crochet them, but for some reason, my crochet is curling. Would rather not have that happen. 

Mitts will be worked on this week, too... 

Progress. Bit by bit. 

Random Picture...

Yes, this is a quickie!! I was walking yesterday - taking my tummy out for a test drive, if you will. That IBS stuff is sticking around a bit longer than I'd like, even with a very clean diet. Anyway, I took a different turn, just to see where it goes, and I found another park! I also found that, after eating, a half-hour walk is about all I can tolerate till I need a bathroom. 

Lovely. 

Any rate, I found an apple tree. No idea why this tickled me so much except we're in the end of September, I haven't seen an apple tree in a while in someone's yard, and I thought it was just so "fall."

The apples aren't perfect, which is kind of cool in its own way. They're actually kind of small and gnarled. But it was neat to see the fruit peeping amongst the leaves of the tree, in various sizes, and degree of ripeness. And over-ripeness... 

Fall speaks to me in a lot of ways. In colors, temperature, scents and sometimes sounds. 

How does fall speak to you? 











No comments: