Saturday, September 15, 2018

Best. Purchase. Ever.

I just used something that paid for itself. Twice. And I never thought I'd have to use it.

Hubby bought me a battery charger - I mean a device which can re-charge your car's batteries. It's in lieu of jumper cables (which scare me to death anyway). I thought, "That's nice." Tossed it in my console and went on about my life. 

Till this morning, when I was running errands ahead of my haircut. My battery died. Deader than Marley's Ghost. I pushed the ignition button and .... Nothing. Click, click, click, and the entire dash went nuts. A kind county sheriff stopped next to me, I got out and said, "It is what I think it is, isn't it?" Yep. And then the guy who parked in front of me asked, "Did you leave your lights on?" I mean, it's 11 a.m...and my car is newer - the lights automatically go off. Ah well...I said no. He told the sheriff he didn't think he had cables, I went into my console and said, "You don't need them. I have this."

"Does it have a charge on it?" I swear, he was trying to be nice, but really?? I said it did. He hooked it up. Voila - car started. I drove it home dutifully because the charger pack has one jolt in it and that's all - I didn't want to risk stalling out. Cancelled the hair appointment, recharged the jolter-thingie, and then charged my battery once more so I could head out to get a new battery for the vehicle. 

Yes, I'm perfectly capable of charging the battery, but you know what? It was nice that they stopped to help. The sheriff, actually, said, "Man, I wish everyone carried these in their cars!"

Best hundred bucks spent. As a matter of fact, don't tell my kids, but that's what they're getting for Christmas. 

Garden Bounty...

The garden continues to produce, and I think we have a few more months of goodies. Today, I was outside and figured I'd better thin out the carrots. Really, that should've been done 2 months ago, but better late than never. I started grabbing the smaller carrot-tops, but a few of the bigger ones came with. No problem. 

I brought them in, sorted and trimmed, and then washed what we were keeping. In reality, I tossed about 18 of the "micro" carrots - too small to even wash. The bunnies in the front yard will be happy. 

Hubby and I snacked on a few of them. Boy-o-boy -- you really need to taste a "real" carrot. So earthy, crunchy, and sweet, along with being rich and "carroty" - totally unlike the supermarket ones. 

I love the taste of these raw. I love them roasted. I enjoy putting them in juices and smoothies because they add a strong kick of flavor. 

They freeze up nicely; we usually cut the spares into medallions and use the freezer bag system where you vacuum seal everything. Keeps the colors crisp and keeps the flavor as intense as if you'd just picked them. 

This variety is "Shorty." They're meant for raised beds, because they don't get very tall. I've done "short" versions of carrots for a couple years now. My favorite is a combo of apple + carrot juice. Very refreshing, with a hint of lemon in it. 

I Hate Ribbing...

Why, oh why did I think these mitts were going to just "zip along" because they're called "simple"? They're not. They're taking an eternity. And I'm not jazzed with them. 

Endless rounds of K2, P2 ribbing. Thirty-six rows. Then 10 rows knitted flat (on DPNs - that ought to be cute). Then at least 10 more rows knitted round, in endless, boring, mind-numbing K2, P2 ribbing. 

I don't much like it on socks, except I know I only have 12 rows there. Fifteen, if I'm feeling ambitious. But these are just not making me happy. 

I have easily 380-ish yards of yarn. 

I wonder if I should frog them and crochet instead, using the Urchin Stitch. It's a beautiful stitch that I've used many times. In fact, my brown wool mitts are in that stitch. It's a simple one, the whole thing is done flat, and the best thing: I crochet much faster than I knit. 

I don't think the yarn colors will be lost in the intricacies of the stitch. It's gotta go faster than what I'm doing now. Cursing the yarn isn't making for a fun project. Perhaps this "simple" pattern is better for a heavier yarn - in sock yarn, this is pretty dismal, for me at least. 

Can you tell where this is going? 

I'm frogging - or shall I say that I've already frogged. Yes, just now. 

There's quite the pile of kinked-up yarn at my feet; but I think it's easier to just do these with the Urchin stitch, get it moving and have them in time for the birthday girl. 

I don't normally crochet a lot. I love it but I'm not good enough to do anything much more than straight squares. I find that it uses a ton of yarn, and I prefer knitting overall for garments. Crochet is outstanding for those things that are geometric, in my opinion: scarves, potholders, washcloths, baby blankets. But not much else. 

I know - the "hookers" out there are passionate about their art. And they have a right to be. I'm happy for them. I'm just not in their exalted ranks. So I think I'm chaining 50, then I'll start the pattern. I want to allow for a little negative ease, so I may end up taking that down to 48...It has to be an even number, so I've got to be careful and think about the wrist size of the person who'll be getting these, and also the fact that they have to go around the palm of the hand, too. It's always fun winging it... 

The trouble is this: the first row is usually a challenge. A size C crochet hook is tiny. And I have to be careful to not over-work my left hand. It's easy to do with crochet, but also with that small hook + yarn. 

Once I'm over this "tricksy bit" it'll go a little faster, too. What I also like about Urchin Stitch is that at the end, there'll be a lovely wavy top to the mitts. Just enough of "fancy" without having to work at it too hard. 

My Favorite Snack...

I'm on the "eating air" diet (a/k/a Whole30) again, and I'm limited in my snacks. My schedule has been crazy, so I've had to get creative with when and what I eat. I've resurrected a childhood favorite. It might not be "exactly" Whole30, but it's close enough. As far as I'm concerned, it's not chocolate and it's not overly-sweet, so I'm good. 

It's "Ants on a Log." Or, peanut butter on celery sprinkled with raisins. I like golden raisins; they're not as hard and dry. 

Not glam. Not fussy. But filling and chewy and texturally appealing when you've been eating a lot of salad. I'm using low-sugar peanut butter. But I also have some almond butter and I have some raw cashew butter. Whatever I feel like, I guess. The raisins (ants!) stick better to peanut butter. 

I used to eat this a lot when I was a kid. My other favorite is cream cheese on celery, but I'm off dairy for a bit more. I'm hoping that the tummy troubles cease. 

As usual, the weight? Not coming off. Today, I probably should have gotten on the elliptical, but I was moving around by cleaning, running errands and the like. 

My Favorite Pen...

I'm working on working on the Essential Oils biz... I'm organizing prospects, contacts, etc. And I like to go Old School when I can. I remember more when I write things down. I can type like the wind. Do something for 30+ years, and you get good at it, right? 

But if I really want to remember, I'll jot a note. And I like good pens. Particularly fountain pens. I used to be able to use them more often, but they'd been put away for a while. Today, I took the purple one out and cleaned it, filled it with a new cartridge and started a lovely list of my "peeps" so that I had all their info at my fingertips, even if I'm nowhere near a computer. 

Anyway, this is my Precious. It's not a grand Mont Blanc or anything (though I can dream, can't I?). It's a Levenger pen. I just like the heft and feeling of it. I have a blue one that's a ballpoint and you can believe that I keep a close hand on that one. 

Pen thieves abound, especially with the extremely nice ones! 

Random Picture...

So I've been doing the Swedish Death Cleaning. Sort of, at least. I mean, I'm clearing out what I haven't used in a long while; I'm de-stashing and donating yarn that I haven't a hope of using, and getting stuff ready for the upcoming Fall Rummage Sale at church. Today, I cleared out the top rack of my closet. Some stuff, I'm keeping, but at least I'm curating it a bit better. I'm telling you: my kids have already stated that, aside from the books and guitars (and maybe our camera equipment), they're putting a dumpster at the back and when we're dead, they're emptying the house... They don't want my china. They don't want the stuff from my grandparents. Aside from a very few things? They're of the generation of Non-Acquirers. 

I found a set of corny shot glasses - from my Granny. But I know my friend Shaun would love them, since he bought a partial set at an antique store. Off they go to him. I found a bunch of things I'd stuck up there for gifts. Off they go to the Rummage Sale, but I did find a few things for my oldest friend - they're now where I know to look for them this holiday!

I found a set of wind chimes. They'll be tried out at the church office. If they drive us nuts, I'll bring them home... I found a frame emblazoned: "The Boys" -- and I have a perfect picture of the 2 kids that I want to put in there! 

There's a "Creepy Jesus Crucifix" that my mother made (on my Granny's request). My mom did some lovely ceramics when I was a kid. Creepy Jesus Crucifix isn't one of them, though and when I asked Mom what to do with it, she said, "Doesn't your church hold a rummage sale???" Off Creepy Jesus goes - into the box. 

Anyway, as I rummaged, I found this little box. A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I was a secretary in the International Business unit of a Big Corporation that no longer exists. My boss, a really nice guy, traveled a lot, as you can imagine. And one time, he brought this back for me. 

I honestly don't remember what country it's from, but I'm thinking Middle Eastern. It's not scented or anything (like a cedarwood box or the like), but it's got a lovely inlaid patter on it, and while you can't really tell, the top slides open. I think I'll take it to the office and put it on my desk. Keep the spare Vicarage key in there or something. 

Are you de-cluttering? Are you clearing space in your physical life so you have it in your emotional life? There's something eminently satisfying about having space. I'd forgotten how good it feels to do that. 




No comments: