Sunday, October 07, 2018

I've Got Finished Objects!

Well, dang... I've got TWO finished projects to show you, neither of which showed up at all on the sidebar there... 

Yeah, I know - go ahead and fan yourself; I did!

I'm on a mission to #shopinstash - shopping in the stash that I've accumulated. If I haven't given it away to the church for the Prayer Shawl Ministry, I'm determined to knit it up. 

First, I finished the "Emergency One Day Hat" -- which of course took more than one day, but was relatively quick nonetheless. Even with frogging a bit to get that @*^ Fun Fur out of there, it ended up turning out quite cute. 

I momentarily thought about putting a pompom on it, but in the end, decided not to. 

I've also confirmed that I really, really despise knitting with 4 DPNs. Not that I don't love double-pointed needles. I just like a set of 5, where your knitting is spread over 4 needles and one is the "working needle."

This? This was a pain in the patootie. As the decreases went on (and they look lovely, by the way), it just got tighter and tighter. I probably messed up the last few ones, but I don't care. That's where a pompom would come in, to cover a few sins. But I looked at it, and it looks fine. 

I dragged out "The Head" and got the hat on it. I really believe that if I'd just sat all weekend, I could've done it in 2 days. Totally fast knit, rather mindless, after you converted everything from centimeters to inches. And the Encore Worsted was and is a favorite of mine! 

You can see the outstanding stitch definition. I'll be doing this again - I have some choices; I've got more of this pink, and I'm making myself a "Women's March Hat." I could've done the ridges in chocolate brown. Pink + brown is one of my favorite combos. 

But I have some of the Caron Party yarn - the worsted purple with sparkles in it... and I think that would be a great idea for my 2019 March Hat. It's got some negative ease, so it'll be a snug fit, but since my head is 23" around, I can do the "large" size. 

It'll be pretty and it'll be quick. 

I also finished the mitts this morning. Sewed 'em up, turned them inside out and waited for Hubby to take the photograph. 

Yes, that's me in my robe. I was aiming to do the picture on top of my laptop. 

Instead, he stuck me with a picture of me in my robe...

Oh well.

Again, I hope the recipient likes them. I still have a ton of that sock yarn left, so I may whip up some of the "Prayer Patches" that our Vicar wants to use for her installation and for an alternative to those of us who have a hard time finishing a full-sized prayer shawl, or even a lap robe. 

And I started another thing from The Stash. That *^#@ Fun Fur... I figured I'd whip up a scarf. Like I need another fuzzy scarf? I don't. I can always stash it for a quick gift, or a donation to our church's Rummage Sale. I just want to get it out of the stash. 

You know, I could have given it away or donated it to the yard sale... But I figured I wanted something mindless to knit for just a little bit. Before I pick up one of the larger Stash projects, like a sweater or whatever else is in there. 

This is held doubled, on size 1o needles. The colorway is Copacabana. I started it this afternoon, and brought it to wait for my yoga class tonight. And did a bit more now; I've set it aside to finish this blog. I may toss in a few rows before I go to sleep, but I'll have to see. 

Right now, it looks like a tropical-colored Tribble. This stuff is extra-easy to knit with, really. Just knit it. And every 5 or 6 rows, just shake it out. It puffs up really nicely. 

I would really have liked to have had that fur on the hat. But it just wasn't going to work. The frustration wasn't worth the trouble. 

And a friend just IM'd me asking me to make her 2 pairs of socks... I sent her the link to the Opal site and told her they'd be plain... We'll see if she takes me up on it. 

Halloween Gone to the Dogs...

So those dogs that I got for Halloween? They're driving me bananas... 

We've had several days of thunderstorms, and the dogs get set off every time. Both the furry ones and these! At least these have an "off" switch. I just ran out tonight, in a dumping rain, to bring them onto the porch and shut them off. 

In the meantime, Tippi and Quinn both hid in the big bathroom - not happy with either the "barking dogs" or the thunder!

I got Quinn into her crate; and Tippi is in the back bedroom. It's going to be a bumpy night. 


On the other hand, I've got bats! 

One of my favorite decorations, which I've had for years, is this stick with wiggly bats on it. I can't even remember where I bought it, but it's a sturdy decoration that's lasted for about 10 years or so. In the wind, the little bats flutter. 

It's nothing fancy, but it's cute. I used to have some bats that stuck on the windows, and I think somewhere, I have a bat that's motion activated and I hung off my porch. 

Lord knows I don't need any other motion-activated pieces this year! I turned off the raven and he's stayed off for a few days. At least till the weather clears up. 

Random Picture...


One more "prison clean-up date." At least it wasn't beastly hot, but it was humid as all get-out. We did outside work, then worked in the hospital building. We could only do the rooms where we had light or windows; we still don't have power widely available. And you can imagine, after all the rain, how things leaked. 

I saw some photographers go into one of the wings of the Admin building, where most of the cell blocks are. As I stepped into a lower door, I heard them talking about "getting the mist bouncing off the walls" and "the nascent light in the fog." 

I dunno... I just cranked off a picture. Granted, it's only my cell phone, so it won't win any prizes. 

But I think I caught the ambiance of a vacant prison cell block, deteriorated almost beyond repair. If you look closely, you can barely see one of the shutterbugs on the gallery stairs there... 

The hospital was a mess, as you can imagine. I wore my mask and even though I was dripping wet from the mask, I kept it on. No more "prison crud" for me, if I can help it!

We took out debris, when we found records, we put them aside, and a lot of furniture was moved out. We swept and scooped up the crap and made sure that the trades guys knew which rooms needed a dumpster to empty out. 

It's a fantastic place; definitely worth saving. But the work will continue for years. 










No comments: