Friday, October 12, 2018

Busy Day Off...

So I took the day off. Well, it wasn't really a "day off." Tippi was Principal for the Day (well, half a day) at a local early childhood center. We lasted half a day and she'd had enough. It's hard to see that she's getting older, but while she was there, she enjoyed herself, I think. They want us back, but only in smaller groups. 

I have no pictures. I was busy with her and the kids. If the principal sends me some, I'll certainly share. She's got to check to make sure it's ok with the parents. 

And while I was there, I had to drive Hubby's "big old boat." My car was in the shop. Both tie rods were going out, and the tires had to be rotated, and the whole thing realigned. The car - or at least the steering - was "juddering." The steering wheel was shaking badly and the whole front end felt like the wheels were going to come off. Of course, that's what happens when a tie rod goes - the tire attached to it goes all wonky. And BOTH of mine were doing that. No wonder the whole thing felt like it was going to collapse on me. 

So. I had to drive the big old boat. Which I could barely park, by the way. But it does drive nicer than mine... 

And the vet thinks Tippi may have a kidney or bladder stone. X-rays tomorrow. 

So, what does one do with one's car out of commission? One cancels their guitar lesson and gets baking done for the church's Rummage & Bake Sale. It's all freezable, so we're good to go. 

First up is Chocolate Chip Pumpkin mini loaves. Granted, I could've done 8 of them - should have, actually, but these turned out ok. 

Yes. I know. The photo is upside down. I did turn it the other way round, but somehow, my phone's camera ate it. Deal with it, please...

And a teeny tiny little secret about these loaves... They're from a box mix. That's not why they're not up to the top. They're a tad skimpy because there are 10 of them, like I said, but I don't think that will keep people from buying them. I've added chocolate chips; strangely enough, chocolate and pumpkin kind of go together. 

Next, I had 2 pears I needed to do something with. I should've eaten them, but I didn't. So there you had it. And I had 1 apple. Trolling through The Internets, I found this Apple Pear Bread recipe. Which I promptly changed a couple of ways and which I think made it a lot better. This is a really stiff dough, but it turned out to be quite nice. 

I must say, the custard cups were genius on my part. That loaf pan is my biggest one. But I knew this was a bit more. It called for one pan, but I'm not sure how I ended up with more batter. I know that by the time I diced everything up, I had lots more fruit than was called for, which is fine by me. I added two generous teaspoons of my NEW FAVORITE SPICE: Penzey's BAKING SPICE. Wow, is that stuff great! And a couple great big shakes of McCormick's Chai Spice Blend, plus 4 nice slices, diced, of candied ginger. I wanted the "harvest" aspect to come out, and for me, Autumn is Ginger Time! So Hubby and I ate the ones in the custard cups. He ate two of them, for the record. I also sprinkled the tops with Turbinado sugar, but it didn't "pop" the way I like it. I think I could've gone a little heavier on that, but all in all, I'm pleased with the adjustments I made, and this is a keeper. 

One complaint - this took FOREVER to bake. But I kind of knew it would. The cups only took about 1/2 an hour, but the loaf took an additional 50 minutes. 

Next up were CPS Butter Cookies. Reminder to self: CHILL the dough before you bake these!! They flattened out a good bit. It's a great cookie -- basically a super-easy shortbread that you push your fingers into. Supposed to be three fingers, but I think my balls need to be bigger for that. And it would've needed to be chilled - otherwise they don't hold the impression of the fingers. 

These are a Christmas favorite. You can see the ridges - they actually looked like "reindeer hooves" before they were baked. I could go a little bigger on these for Christmas and bake them a little shorter than the 15 minutes called for. That would make them a tad more chewy and less brown on the sides. 

Tomorrow, after working at the local mission serving lunch and going to a Get Out the Vote event, I'll be finishing up with Jewish Honey Cookies  and Molasses Oatmeal Banana Bread. That fulfills my "baking ration" for the church... and gets me in the mood for holiday baking, honestly. 

Last year, Hubby did the majority of the baking, which concurrently made me angry and happy. Happy that he could do it, because my schedule was so crazy, but angry because I honestly love to bake; it's a stress-reliever for me and I'm pretty good at it. I'll admit, I was jealous that everyone was complimenting him on "his cookies."

This year, I hope it's better. Because it's something we both enjoy doing. 

Knitting On...

I'm knitting that Emergency One Day Hat again - in the largest size, for me. I'm using the same pink yarn (stash busting - the rest I'll use for prayer patches). I'll wear it for the 2019 Women's March. I'm also adding color in the ridges, with the leftover purple sparkle yarn. It's coming along. 

A friend asked if I'd knit her some socks. This is always a tricky thing, because if people ask "How much would you charge?" it's a totally loaded question. So, how much would I charge with $19.00-ish yarn, my time, and knitting basically 100,000 stitches - twice - with a plain pattern? See where I'm going here? I know the Yarn Harlot gives hers away, and that's cool. One can do that when one's a Knitting Goddess. But for the rest of us, there's no way we could even "knit for profit" unless we turned into designers. 

The upshot of that request? I gave her the Opal site, told her to order two of her favorite colors, and I'd do 2 pairs for her. I will be doing Plain Vanilla... We shall see if she gets the yarn. I also told her to measure her foot, but I'll have to get pretty specific because I need to know more than "I'm a size 8"... I may have her trace her foot onto cardboard, so at least I know where to start the toes. 

This knitting socks for other people is complex business. How in the world do others do it with ease?? And what DO people charge, if someone asks, to make a pair of regular socks??

While knitting and baking, an old, old movie came on. No surprise, right... But it was Don Knotts... "The Incredible Mr. Limpet." I loved that when I was a kid... 

It was kind of fun to see it again! The mixture of "real movie" and animation was Big Stuff when I was a kid. 

Heck, I didn't know the animation was in color till high school. Seriously, I thought everyone was making a big deal out of it when "The Wizard of Oz" came on once a year. Yes, children, movies didn't repeat in those days. They came on once a year. And no - we didn't have a color TV till I was in high school.

And my parents were in charge of the channels. There was no remote. 

I Did This Thing...

I wrote a note to Dr. Blasey-Ford. Back in the day, women flooded Anita Hill's mailbox with handwritten notes of support. I wasn't aware enough then to realize what it took to do what she did. 

I am now. I wrote her a note and enclosed one of my Prayer Patches for her. I hope her mailbox is flooded with letters and cards. What she did and what she's enduring? 

Seriously, for Melania to whine that "I'm the most bullied person on the planet." Give me a break honey-child. Let's talk Michelle Obama. Hillary Clinton. Dr. Blasey-Ford. 

Clearly, the woman has no clue what "bullied" really is. And her "Be Best" campaign is laughable given Agent Orange's propensity to toilet-tweet in the wee hours. 

Bullied. Darlin' you have no idea. And if you do have an idea, then you knew what you were marrying and you have not one jot of my sympathy. 

Random Picture...

After I got my car back, I took a quick run to the store. It was quick till I hit the deli...where it took FOR. EVER. 

As I waited, I saw this. And thought, "ohhhhhhhhhhhh NO!" 

When I was a kid, Fried Bologna was a thing. On Wonder Bread. 

Go ahead. Gag. I did. And I still do. 

You can pretty that pig up and you know what? It's still a pig. 

Well, actually, that's an insult to adorable porcine critters everywhere. 

You can put cheese and brioche buns on that sausage, but it's still nasty. 

I hated the smell. I hated the taste. There's no "wonderful" about fried bologna.

What's the thing you remember from your childhood that makes you go "ewwwwwwww"? 










No comments: