Sunday, April 01, 2018

Life Changes - Spring Cleaning...

So tomorrow, I start the Whole30 "re-set" program. As I get older, I find that my body reacts differently to foods I used to eat or I'm used to eating. I find that my skin even reacts to things - and I'm far from a teenager! 

I talked to my brother about this, and he had done the Whole30 just so he could avoid cholesterol meds. He found out what worked for him, in the bargain he lost about 25 lbs., and he looks great. He has great-looking skin, his eyes are bright, and he doesn't look as tired as he used to. 

I'm hoping for a "bright-eyed" look and improving my skin - seems I'm prone to psoriasis (who knew??) and stress/tired/nutrition all play into that. 

I have a confession to make... I'm a horrible addict and my addiction of choice is sugar. Not even chocolate, though I love it. I like honey in my tea. I like brownies. I like ice cream. I like candy. And I really have a hard time stopping. I mean, truly: it's difficult for me, once I use sweetener, to stop eating sweets. 

So I'm hoping that the Whole30 will help me find better alternatives. I'm not jazzed about not eating beans for a month; I eat a lot of beans. And cheese is going to be another item I'm not keen on having to pass by. 

But it's a month. I can drink my tea "naked" and I can deal with anything for a month. The recipes look do-able, even with the fact that Hubby isn't doing this with me. I just have to think about a breakfast that's easy to deal with that's "carry-along." I get up at "dawn o'clock" as it is, and I'm not keen on eating first thing in the morning. Granted, in one positive aspect: I don't like the "continental" or sweets-based breakfasts. I'll eat a sweet roll occasionally - but not at 7 a.m.!

Today, I wrote out Monday's menu. Hubby did a quick store-run, because we had most of what I needed, but there were a few fresh things I required. In the meantime, I cooked up some clarified butter. You have the option to use clarified butter or ghee. I didn't have ghee, and it's pricey anyway. But I did have butter. LOTS of butter, actually, because we stocked up at Christmas. 

Incredibly easy: In a saucepan, cut up a pound of organic, unsalted butter. Set the heat to medium-ish and let it melt. 

Don't stir it. That's important!!

See that white foam at the top of the pan? It's the milk solids coming to the top. Let them happen, and then skim off with a spoon. 

While the butter is melting, grab a 16-oz. canning jar and line the top with about 4 layers of cheesecloth. 

So, here - if you want to get to ghee, let the milk solids brown and sink to the bottom. Otherwise, strain it. 

*Helpful hint: If you're like me, put the butter into a measuring cup FIRST. That way, you can try to avoid spillage. Ask me how I figured that one out...

Drain the butter oil (which is what it is, now that the milk solids are mostly removed) into the jar. Plop the lid on and let it cool for about 15-20 minutes before you stick it in the fridge. 

It should keep for several weeks. 

You don't need to be on Whole30 to do this. Clarified butter is a great thing to use in your average, everyday cooking. 

See that bit of white at the bottom? It's the milk solids that managed to bypass the cheesecloth. 

And that's ok, because they're at the bottom. I'll be using the stuff on top. 

Eventually, I'll go ahead and get some ghee. Just not right now. One of my favorite things to do with either ghee or the clarified butter is to gently coat veggies with it - particularly green beans (not for a month...) or broccoli or Brussels sprouts. 

If you're eating bread (not for a month...), it's also good on toast. 

It makes an excellent base for sauteeing and frying (like eggs - which I will be eating this next month). 

So there you go. A short tutorial and a nice kitchen hack. 

I Survived Holy Week...

Yes. I did. I wasn't sure for a while there. Working for the church, you really do see the "less than church-like" behavior of some folks. 

I mean, we're all human. My quest during Lent was to be more patient. But it wasn't always easy and I failed a lot. 

Many of us unilaterally love our substitute vicar, and would adore it if she applied for the vacancy. Though that would mean we'd lose her for the duration of the search process, I believe she'd be a good fit for us. 

We took her to dinner a couple of times, and enjoyed getting to know her. 

One of the lovely harbingers at the church is that the daffodils along the south side of the hall started to bloom! Spring is really coming, in spite of what the weather-folk keep threatening us with!

Normally, we're quite active in church during Holy Week anyway. We sign at the services, and participate as much as we're able to. 

I haven't been to a "Holy Thursday" service (or Maundy Thursday as we call it) since I started teaching yoga. This year was the same thing. Our church has what they call an "Agape Meal" before the service. It's a community meal, simple in content, and usually there's about 20 people there. 

Good Friday is, of course, a solemn occasion, with very few songs. I love this shot from Good Friday. The shadows perfectly cast the other 2 crosses - representing the criminals who were also crucified alongside Jesus. 

In our church, we can lower this cross, by means of two hand-cranks. It's an art to lower it evenly. Hubby and I lowered it, and the vicar was "catcher." It's actually right above the altar, so you have to have a "catcher" to make sure it doesn't clunk down on the altar. Anyway, veneration of the cross is a big thing on Good Friday. Afterwards, we cranked it back up for Easter Vigil. 

Easter Vigil is my personal favorite. It's a great, song-filled extravaganza. First, though, we have nine (yes, 9) readings, telling the story from the Creation to the crucifixion. We had to scrape together volunteers to read, but it is what it is. 

I think my favorite part, aside from the lighting of the fire (who knew priests were secret pyromaniacs??) is the Exultet - which is the chant I do. It's in a darkened church, everyone holding candles. We've just come in from lighting the fire, lighting the enormous Paschal candle, and each of us lighting our small candles from that one, larger flame. 

Then, in that darkened church, the first few lines of the chant, "Rejoice you heavenly hosts and choirs of angels..." -- which it being Lent, we haven't done a lot of. The "rejoicing" I mean. 

We finished the week with Easter Sunday service, and our small choir did a fantastic job with the song, "Hallelujah" -- yes, THAT one. Leonard Cohen wrote an iconic melody and not only did he write a number of "versions" of the lyrics, but many others did. We plucked the Easter verses and did them with our director, who's an absolute marvel on the piano. 

My voice is shot for a week or so. I'd love to take a week off. That isn't happening...

Sacred Mountain...

This is what I've been diffusing the past several days. Not only is it a nice-smelling corollary to Easter, it's just a wonderfully calming scent. The scent of Ylang Ylang blended with the "conifers" (like spruce and cedar) really provide a marvelous sense of grounding and a great feeling of being outdoors. 

I set up my Desert Mist diffuser, and it's been going all day. It's a neat diffuser that, on low speed, runs for about 10 hours. I have it on the "light changing" setting, so it cycles through 8 different colors. 

I may diffuse this in the office this week - I'm trying out different oils each week, attempting to have an "oil of the week" so that folks find out the depth and breadth of the product line. 

This may well be a favorite in the office. We shall see. If you're interested in learning more about these lovely oils, leave me a message in the comments. I'd love to help you enhance your own wellness and also detox your home - help you use products that don't contain all those harmful chemicals!

The Perfect Day...

So yeah, it's been crazy-busy. I had a brilliant day where, while it wasn't a WHOLE day, it was a half day. And I'll take it. 

Hubby did something for me that I didn't expect. He got us a subscription to "BritBox" - the streaming service developed by the BBC and ITV. I'm such a fan of British TV - the mysteries in particular. 

I spent a half day watching Dr. Who - the original Dr. Who. Yes, it's cheesy and it's got some crazy "special effects." But it's classic Dr. Who and I enjoyed my day! 

I've spent some time with Miss Marple, with Brother Cadfael, and with Inspector Barnaby in Midsomer... It's just a wonderful treat for me. 

Knitting...

So, finally... Knitting happened! While waiting for Easter Vigil and Good Friday services, I was able to get a few more points on the Close to You Shawl. And I enjoyed some chocolate. With my BritBox. 

I got all my hand-knit socks washed this weekend and I've been plugging away on this shawl today. 

What with all the singing, I've actually deliberately tried to not talk. The standing joke in my family is that everyone enjoys Easter Sunday because I'm so vocally frazzled that I'm normally quite silent, as much as I can be. 

Hubby refers to it as "the most peaceful day of the year." I'm not sure if he's totally kidding.

Anyway, even if he is -- all of us need a rest day, right? 

This shawl is now buzzing along nicely, and I'm liking it more and more. I'm anxious to see how it all blocks out. I still hope the recipient likes it. 

Let's put it this way -- I'll be more than horribly disappointed if the recipient doesn't like it or appreciate it. 

I think as knitters, we always take that risk. We invest ourselves in the project, doing something with our hands and hearts, and we hope that the individual who receives our work appreciates it. They don't have to fall all over and put on a big show. But I'd like to see the item in use. I'd like a heart-felt sense that the person understands the time and effort that went into this. 

So just because I'm saying that the shawl is zipping along, it's the whole package: I took time to decide which pattern, I looked a while for the yarn, and I'm spending time on the knitting of it. 

That's why I hope that the person who receives this appreciates it. 

Random Picture...

After Hubby brought back the groceries, I discovered these gems. He said he got them on special, and I'm really tickled! 

I love berries, and I'm very happy they're in the Whole30 plan. 

And now, Jesus Christ Superstar is live, in concert, on the television, with John Legend as Jesus and Alice Cooper as Herod. 

You'll excuse me if I run off and get this published. 

Happy Easter! 












No comments: