Sunday, April 29, 2018

Knitting Along...

...the knitting needles are flying around here. I got it into my head the other day that I could possibly finish the green traveling socks in time for the trip to see Kid #1. That would be kind of a record finish for me for a PAIR of socks. But it's really just plain knitting, so this weekend, I applied myself a bit more. I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.

Let me say this: I thought I was not going to like this combo. I'm watching it knit up and I'm thinking maybe they won't be my very favorite, but they'll be nice. I'm kind of liking the way the pattern is turning out. 

Of course, photographing it on hot pink probably doesn't do it a lot of justice. But I'm kind of getting into the feeling of the combo here. 

I thought that perhaps I should make these into a pair of shorties, but since I'm already a couple inches down the leg, I'm really not inclined to frog them, and right now they're at the "dorky too strange looking" height. And besides, if I wanted to bring the tall hiking boots, these will look cool peeking out of a hiking boot and I won't be losing my socks. 

I hate when the socks slip down into your shoes. I have a couple pair of "no show" socks that do that and it makes me crazy. It also makes blisters. 

I did put a few more rows on the Close to You Shawl. I have time, though. So I'm good there. 

I'm also looking with horror at the stash. I mean real horror as in, "Oh my God, how am I going to knit all of this?" And that's only the VISIBLE stash. I haven't even opened the closet. 

Definitely on a yarn diet as of now. And this time I'm serious. I have some very special yarn that I need to knit up for myself. I'm anxious to finish more socks - and try to make some of the "shorties" that I can wear with tennis shoes. I'd love to buckle down and finish at least one of the sweaters. 

It will come. I think I can. I know I can. Focus. 

I love not only the process of knitting but the product of knitting. I love to finish things and wear them. I love to knit them. I love to see the stitches form, the pattern start to work, the garment being built. 

One of my most magical things is the turning of a heel. Seriously, you have this tube. And with a few rounds, all of a sudden, you have a heel. It's amazing. 

I love to see a bunch of written lines turn into lace. 

I love conquering a picot edging. 

I've gotta focus and get knitting, and I'm planning to have a blast while doing it. 

That's Just Wrong...

This is what I found in the "hummus" part of the grocery store. I'm sorry, but this is wrong. Snickerdoodles are cookies that are yummy. They're not hummus. 

Not saying hummus isn't yummy. But hummus isn't sweet. It's savory. It's meant to be served with veggies or pita or crackers. 

Seriously, what would you serve "snickerdoodle hummus" with?? Arrowroot teething crackers? 

This jumped the shark big-time and I just can't fathom it. 

Plus-Sized Models...

So I'm wondering why, when I see plus-size models (and I'm not talking those size 14 gals here, but the larger women I see modeling bathing suits and the like)... they never seem to have a tummy. 

Take a look - they have larger bodies, which I'm happy to see, because it's reality, right? But many of them don't have tummies. 

You'll see an article, called, "Swimsuits for Every Body," and the "larger bodied" women will have flat stomachs. 

What about those of us with a meno-pot? What about those of us whose "babies" are 30 and we still have a maternal pooch? 

Yes. I'm freaking out because I have to bring a bathing suit to the trip because we'll be doing something with hot springs that may involve me dipping into one. 

Anyway, take a look at the pictures and see if you agree with me. I love seeing realistic women modeling clothing because we're not all sticks. 

But even the "real" women in the Dove ads weren't as "normal" as they could've been. 

It's a conundrum. And maybe I need to just put on my "big girl" panties (over the meno-pot) and deal with it. But it would be nice if clothing manufacturers would also deal with it and if the fashion world got even better at it. 

Random Picture...

The sunset tonight was really pretty. And I managed to catch a couple of shots. This one was my favorite one, as the sun just got behind the tree in the perfect way. 

I stepped aside to get this one, so I eliminated the building that's usually in the way. 

My students were grateful for the class. They all said they were "fuzzed out" and relaxed. That's what I want to hear. They stopped, looked at the sunset, then made their way to their cars to go home. 



No comments: