Sunday, January 28, 2018

What IS it With Some Men???

I wasn't going to blog today; I really didn't have much to say. But then I saw this story about a record-setting polar expedition, and the trolls that came out of the woodwork. And I just couldn't stand it. 

Jade Hameister, a 16-year-old girl, has completed a "trifecta" of sorts - she's been to both the North and South Poles and crossed Greenland. You can read about it here, and about her TEDX talk.  At age FOURTEEN (yes, 14), she became the youngest person to ski to the North Pole from the last degree of latitude, about 60 miles. She then did her TEDX talk. 

And out came the trolls, with "Make me a sandwich." Apparently, that's the latest meme meant to shame females who have the audacity to...be audacious! To do things. To be themselves. To be "more" if they want, to seek, to dream. To go beyond the confines of what "someone" thinks they need to be or do. 

Well. Jade made that sandwich. At the South Pole. And basically said, "Ok, here's your sandwich (ham & cheese). Now, ski 37 days and 600km to the South Pole so you can eat it."

I think that's an incredibly witty and totally appropriate response. 

What is with some men these days? I thought it was 2018. I thought we were supposed to be able to get out of the kitchen if we so chose -- or stay IN the kitchen if that was our choice. 

At least, I thought we had a choice; we didn't have to be dictated to by men. I thought we had some -- some options. We don't have full equality, but for the love of Heaven - at least in this country, we can vote. And we can run for office. 

However, in some circles, apparently, we should "make [him] a sandwich." I would love to see what those people think of my own Hubby, who does 90% of the cooking, mainly because of my crazy work schedule. I'm pretty sure they think that I'm a "feminazi" and he's a "wimp" (or worse). I'm hoping, honestly, that that particular subspecies dies out. Soon. Sooner rather than later. The ones who see us - women, I mean - as one-dimensional characters who are there to spit out babies and clean up and "know our place."

Our place? It's anywhere we want it to be. North Pole. South Pole. Greenland. Holding office. Running a business. Running a household. Mother. Not a mother. Artist. Doctor. Lawyer. Truck driver. Priest. Astronaut. President. Whatever we want. No limits. 

Take a note from Jade - listen to her TEDX talk. And think about what YOU did at age 14. I'm not trying to shame anyone (except the "make me a sandwich" crowd of cretins). But when I was 14? I was babysitting... We didn't have a ton of options. I wish we did, looking back. My family situation was such that I was helping to run the house and did the side job of babysitting while in high school. It was what it was. Now, in my 6th decade, I look back and wonder what kind of opportunities I could have had "if." 

Sometimes, I think "if" is the biggest word of all. In the entire English language. "If" is also the saddest. 

Knitting...

Every sock starts out the same. It's a rather mundane row of loops on a needle. You always, always think, "This is not gonna work." No matter how many years you've been making them, you (or at least, I) always marvel that this little row of stitches grows into a pair of socks. 

The other day, at the studio, I had a gong event. I wore the Teal Socks. Proof that, yes, I will wear them. I think I have to wash them a couple of times so the Trekking yarn softens up. The sole is plain knitting, and for some reason, it bothered my feet. I'm barefoot a LOT. I usually don't have trouble with hand-knitted socks. 

These need to be exorcised or something. 

Anyway, while I was waiting for the presenter to get there, I got out my "traveling knitting" and figured I'd cast on a plain sock. I'm rooting through stash for yarn (mainly Opal, let's face it...I have a ton of it, the colorways are luscious, and it wears like iron!) to make into plain socks that can stay in the car or with me when I'm waiting somewhere. I'm determined to memorize that Vanilla pattern this year! 

As I cast on, I thought about it - everything starts from something simple. From beings who start out as sperm-and-egg, to plants, to a brownie that starts with simple disparate ingredients that come together to make chocolate goodness. Everything starts out simply. 

I'm working on the Petty Harbour socks, and I'm planning my next shawl. Every once in a while, I get overwhelmed by a pattern, and I have to think: it's only knits and purls. One stitch at a time. It starts out simply. 

It's a somewhat fiddly pattern. It's not difficult at all; a simple 4-row repeat, just that it's lots of knits and purls. The texture is lovely. It'll be beautiful, and I'm modifying it so that all I'm knitting in-pattern is the leg. I don't want this pattern across the top of my foot. It started out just like the Dreaded Teal Sock, this Green Traveling Sock, and every sock I've done so far. 

Loops on a needle. Connect them properly. Set the stitches so that the ridge is on top and you've got no twists in the loop. For me, I start with 4 rows of knitting, for a little curl on the top. And then, off you go. Round and round and round for about 12 rows or so of ribbing, then whatever you do in the leg portion. The heel flap. 

Then the oh-so-magical turning of the heel, closing the gusset and then rows and rows of foot in plain knit (for me - I don't like a pattern on my foot). Decreasing the toe. Kitchener the toe closed. 

Voila - socks. Start with loops. End with socks. 

I think I'm going to start a shawl after I get at least this first Petty Harbour off my needles. I will then, if all goes well, finish Petty Harbour, then finish off the two singles I have left: Bowties are Cool and Blue Sole-to-Sole. Those are my last singletons. I still want to do a number of pairs of socks for 2018. And I also want to finish a few sweaters, plus the shawls. 

So much to do. 

Quinn...

You all remember my little "Patch-Puppy" and her continual wearing of the ThunderShirt while her latest surgeries healed. We kept the ThunderShirt on her for a longer time, because it's been cold and she's been bald. 

Well, now she's just about back to full coat. There are still a few bare patches, but her undercoat is coming along and she's more comfortable. As I was brushing her the other day, I noticed two things: she has almost no "undercoat." She never has, poor baby. What I was brushing and what was coming off onto the brush was mainly top coat. And the texture of her coat has changed a bit. Not sure if it's the new food, the supplement she's getting to help keep the cysts under control, the fact that she wore the ThunderShirt for so long, or the fact that she's now an "older" dog. She's 7 now, and an 'adult' even though she acts like a foolish puppy still. That's just her. 

So far, she still has a few smaller cysts. We're watching them. I'm hoping that what we're doing has helped her. She's such a sweet soul. 

Random Picture...

This was from Preston's Gong Event. He sets up this little "portable temple" and plays his instruments. I was worried because it moves, and then, last night, it hit me... That's the point. As he's playing his gongs and drum, there's this tap-tap-tap -- and I realized that the coconut chimes (barely visible there on the right) were keeping time with him, and accenting the music. 

If you're local, you need to investigate this! It's a marvelous event that leads to a fantastic state of relaxation. This time, I found myself agitated. It seemed "louder" than before, almost aggressive. But then, I've been thinking about it...this is a year of change for me. Things are happening - and I'm making them happen. Things are in a bit of flux. I'm a little "un-centered" myself! Maybe that came through on the music. It's something that I've been pondering on since the event. 

We had nearly a full house, and I was happy about it. A few people didn't show, but we had a few walk-ins. I had to put up a "Registration & Policies" page on our website for the studio because I've been getting people who will register and then cancel the day of or the day before and want a refund. 

Hey, I know. Stuff happens. But as a business owner, I can't wait on you, and not know how many people will come. I'm pretty generous with my refund policy, but day of the event? Usually not gonna happen. Presenters come out specifically to do their job, and it's their livelihood. We hold these workshops and events for our students and the community, and we hope you like us and want to attend. 

And we hope you understand that we're a small business. We'll bend over backward for our students (yogis and all that...) but there comes a time when we have to have a policy and we have to have it across the board, for everyone. 






No comments: