Saturday, January 06, 2018

More Things "Done"...

Starting 2018 out with a burst of activity, I finished Mom's hat, finished a pair of mitts for myself, and blocked the "Close to You" shawl. 

Whew!! 

I also changed themes on the blog, which I've been doing every year or so. I'm going to try this one out. The background picture reminds me of Mont Blanc, and it's one of my favorite places. 

So we'll see how it goes. In order to make it readable, I have to do the font in the background in rather a lighter shade, and we shall see if my eyeballs like this. If not? Hey - it's a blog. It's not "Tale of Two Cities" in paper. 

So the mitts were crocheted, in "urchin" stitch. I've worn them almost every day since the weather is bone-chilling cold. They're crocheted flat, and I stitched them up with deliberately different thumb holes, since my left thumb is fused and needs a little more room. My mom got me a pair of gloves, and I'm not sure how they'll fit "Lefty" since she doesn't move! 

Anyway. The other day, I was in the sweater I am modeling here, with the shawl, and the mitts. I did feel "swathed" in knits, which was nice and cozy. 

I got a lot of compliments on the shawl, and once I figured out how it wore best on me, I did enjoy wearing it. Again - just enough. I would have done a couple more rounds and I should have. But I can make this again. I have stash that will fit the bill for this shawl with no problem. And now that I've done it, I kind of know my way around the pattern. I know how far I can push it. 

And "Petty Harbour" - the sock - is coming along. You can see the pattern and I think the yarn was the best choice - the single color lets the pattern pop. 

I'm looking forward to finishing those, even though there's a ball of Opal sitting here staring at me. First-of-the-year "startitis" is strong. I have to resist.

Yes, I could whip out a pair of vanilla socks. Yes, I'd wear them. Yes, I "need" them (inasmuch as anyone needs hand-knit socks). But I can wait. I must at least get this sock to the heel. And I really, really, REALLY must finish the "singles." I said that was going to be my resolution. 

I'll tell you what... these will be my "traveling" socks. I'll keep them in my bag, and do lunch-time knitting. That way, I also hit another resolution: trying to limit screen time. See? A solution always presents itself, right? 

Oh, my mom wore the hat to the grocery store and got several compliments on it. A few women asked where she bought it (!) and she told them, "My daughter made it for me." They asked, "Does she make them to sell?" and she replied, VERY firmly, "NO." She thinks I do too much. And anyway, I wouldn't want to knit only those hats for the next few weeks. I don't want knitting to become a chore. And also - it's a short term stream of income, provided I could actually make any money. Between the yarn and the time? I doubt I'd make anything near a profit. 

My Car...

...Is clean for the next 24 hours, at least. It hit 11* outside, and it was time to "take a layer off" before the next wave hits. I went to The Promenade" to return a pair of boots I'd purchased. My calves are about 15 1/2" around (biker calves). I saw "15 inches" on these, and didn't realize that there was an "XXL" next to it. The boots are 15" tall. Not the calf width. I could fit TWO legs in the XXL leg...Even stuffing my most bell-bottomed jeans in these wouldn't fix it.  Technically, The Walking Company didn't have to take them back, because I bought them online on clearance with a very clear "no returns" policy --- lucky me, the style is in high demand, so they were happy to have my return. I should have gotten a brown boot, but ended up with a lovely pair of Dansko boots - not "quite" what I wanted, but enough to last me and I can deal with them. Stuffing my jeans into my boots isn't a style that I'm into anyway. 

So - I passed a car wash on the way in, and I thought, "I need to do this..." By the time I got out of the store (which took me, by the way, all of 20 minutes). the line for the car wash was around the block... So I went into Joliet to get the car washed. Still waited 20 minutes, but it's done and voila! The car is green again! And I have boots... 

I got a great gift from my friend and fellow oiler: a car diffuser. Not a plug-in one, but one that goes on the vent! 

There are about 6 or 7 pads, different colors, and you can add the oil to the pad. It stays for about a week; the pads are felt, and so far this has lasted longer than anything else I've tried. I have the black pad in there, and "Envision" oil on it. I can get a nice whiff of it when I get into the car: the rose overlaid with the other favorites of mine: geranium and sage, with orange, lavender and black spruce? 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Instant bliss. I diffuse this blend, and I wear it as a perfume. It makes my car smell nice. My commute can really suck. But this helps. And I love the "tree of life" design. It's subtle and it sticks right there in front. 

Yes - it's 8* in that picture... It's winter, it's Illinois. It happens. And it will continue to happen for another several weeks. As long as you dress sensibly, warm up your car and have a scraper (and know how to use it, please!!), you'll be fine. 

Speaking of "knowing how to use it," WHEN IT'S SNOWING OUTSIDE, SCRAPE YOUR CAR! And not a port-hole - a whole windshield's worth of scraping. It's good exercise and warms you up. 

Speaking of Oils...

I usually have an oil that I use first thing, right after a shower. As I'm kinda damp, I can put 3 drops of the "oil of the day" on, and it goes a long, long way before you dry off. Today's blend was Melrose and Copaiba. Melrose is an excellent support for your skin. And Copaiba is an amazing oil... it acts like an "enhancer" or "amplifier" for other oils. And besides, it has a nice smell! 

I love to work on combinations of oils, and while Young Living has amazing blends, sometimes I like to play around with the singles myself. It's fun to experiment. 

That being said, one of my favorite blends is "Stress Away" - notes of vanilla and lime, with a remarkable ability to calm you down. I mean, it's a cross between spicy and "a cookie." I love it. I wear it a lot and I diffuse it with Lavender to start my "winding down" routine. 

I also like Peace & Calming. And I ended up with several bottles that were "mostly" empty. Young Living has really efficient "limiters" on the bottles, allowing you to dispense 1 drop at a time, and toward the end of the bottle, you have the opportunity to repurpose the bottles. I remove the limiters and drain the last few drops - usually into either the diffuser or my latest project: bath salts - or in my case, a foot soak. 

The bottles are upside down in the epsom salts, and they'll stay there for a day or so, to completely drain. Then I'll shake the heck out of the bottle, to mix it up, and if I need to add a few drops, I might do that. Put the lid on the bottle and then I can put the empties in a bowl of boiling water to remove the labels. 

The small bottles make excellent sample bottles, or you can add a roller-top fitment. That makes it easy for me to take blends in my bag or when I travel, since they're tiny bottles (5 ml or about .17 oz). You can also put a small spray top on it for "Oopsie-Poopsie" bathroom spray. You know - just in case you need to NOT leave a bad impression in a bathroom!

Slippers...

So along with the boots that weren't quite right, I got myself a pair of slippers. I had hinted (strongly) that I wanted a pair for Christmas, and I don't want to sound ungrateful. Actually, I'm glad I was able to get these on sale, too! They're "mules" - still flat, but leather, and sheepskin with a memory foam insole. Nice arch support, too! 

And the're TARDIS blue! What are the odds? As a dedicated "slipper gal," I'm not quite used to the open back, but they do keep my toes toasty, so I'm fine with it. It just fees odd for now, as I walk through the house. 

I was thinking of all those folks who wear that brand where they theoretically go barefoot because "they're so warm you don't need socks." I've heard a lot of good stuff about that brand (which my slippers are NOT), but I've also heard that those things can get a little rank... Sweaty feet and all that. On top of that, think of it: if it's a mid-calf boot kind of thing, how does the air actually get to the foot part to freshen it? I'm not sure how that works, but I think they're overpriced anyway. And with my high arches? I probably couldn't get into them anyway. 

Random Picture...

My Tippi. She turned 10 yesterday. I missed the sardines, because I was on the phone. I'm not pleased - I wanted to give her her birthday fish! Lucky me, I did get the fish burps and fish farts later, though... 

I've had a lot of dogs. I've had 2 that I consider "heart dogs." Dogs that crawl into your heart and stay there, long after they're gone. Dogs that leave a lasting impression on you, and who embody what "dog" means to you forevermore. 

And usually, you're lucky to have one. I've had 3... Tippi has crawled into the space in my heart - never replacing Topaz or River, but joining them. She's a wonderful dog. She's a well-loved therapy dog, and she's a well-loved family member. She turned out to be our "surprise super star" because she could've been totally psycho, given her rough start. Luckily, her heart is as big as the universe and she's a friend to everyone. 











No comments: