Wednesday, June 14, 2017

The Last Three Inches...

Seems like I was just here. At least in terms of the February Lady Sweater. I had Hubby help me measure last night, and I have about 3" to go on the yoke till I can RE-do the sleeves and then start the lace pattern again. 

For some reason, it's going more slowly than I remember it doing the first time around. But I'm really glad, now that I'm into it again, that I frogged. I think I have the size better, too. Even though I put the eyelets in there, it's not as "swingy" as it was the first time around. I'm hoping it's not too snug, but then, it's going to grow a bit anyway. 

They usually don't but this one seems to do so. We'll see. I can understand it, because the yoke is pretty heavy, considering. And the lace will stretch. The sleeves are only meant to be 3/4 length. I have short arms - they should come nearly to my wrists, and I can always add a row or two. I'll have to see how it goes. 

I'm finally using the "too small" yarn bowl I bought. I couldn't find a hank, skein or ball small enough, but since I have a few of these balled up already, I think I can use this for now. It'll actually fit the entire skein, but I don't think it's center-pull, though I can fiddle with it. 

It's a pretty bowl, but has been, for the most part, useless because of the lack of depth. I was resigned to using it as a notions holder or just as a pretty wooden bowl, but at least for this project, I can use it for its intended purpose. 

I'm already thinking about my next project. I will finish the Shape-It scarf - I'm so close, and I have to fix that little snag. Then I can take care of blocking it and actually wearing it. It being June, I've got time! 

I want to do another sweater, and "J" at work reminded me, "It's 6 months till Christmas!"

So I need to figure out if I'm doing any Christmas knitting. One of our colleagues doesn't celebrate holidays so I'm not sure how we're going to do this. It's going to be interesting, to say the least. I was thinking of knitting up some washcloths and getting some fancy soaps for some quick gifts. 

Young Living Essential Oils makes some nice bar soaps, some foaming soaps and some nifty "bath bombs" - and that might be a nice option for something different. 

Politics...

Well, I wasn't going to go there, but I think I have to. There was a shooting today in Washington DC and everyone's all a-buzz. I even had someone tell me it was an "assassination attempt." 

Call me jaded - maybe it's our proximity to Chicago. It was a shooting. Plain and simple, another example of the daily violence that's endemic in our major cities. 

Yes, if you want to split hairs, it was an attempt to assassinate someone. If you look it up, "assassinate" means to kill someone. So yeah - someone attempted to kill someone. 

Stop making it partisan. Start working on reasonable gun laws. I'm not telling anyone that someone from the government is coming to get your guns. Lord knows that President Obama never did that - do you hear that, crazy uncle of mine?? 

Too many people (Newt, I'm lookin' at you) are spouting nonsense about how Democrats are evil killers. Crap, people...we can't even win an election we're supposed to have walked away with. 

We do need to stop the hate at the highest levels, and I'm not sure I even have the imagination to know where to go with that one. But until we start to address the violence and hate at the local level, we can't get to the higher levels. 

Storm's Coming...

Yes, that's a song by the Wailin' Jennys. Awesome music. But this is more in line with the last "random picture" which wasn't so random. Yesterday, I took a shot of the clouds building for a storm that resulted in a warning, with "high winds and hail."

And we got nothing. 

That is, till about 5:15 p.m. today. It broke over the office just as I was trying to leave. And it kept bucketing. No hail, thankfully, but a ton of rain, lots of wind. And it's going to continue for a while. There are breaks and I'm taking advantage of one of them. 

A few more stitches on the long, long yoke of the sweater and then I'm off to bed. I have a funeral to go to in the morning, and then work. 

Sleep tight, folks! 



No comments: