Saturday, June 18, 2011

Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore

With all respects toward the great John Prine, I had to use that title, and the lyrics will follow shortly...

I'm sick and tired of Wiener's wiener... Here's the thing. It's basic PR 101: you shouldn't say (no matter what the media is) anything (or SHOW anything) that you wouldn't want printed on the front page of the New York Times.

That being said, the now-disgraced Anthony Wiener didn't heed that information, and he took pictures of what should remain private and made them public. Which is adolescent to be sure. And which is between him and his wife. And now a million+  of his closest friends. Thanks, Andrew Breitbart, for lowering the bar once again. And thanks, Anthony, for proving that Democrats are idiots.

We have no business knowing about Anthony's privates OR his private business. But after this story took on a life of its own, he humiliated himself into the resignation. Though I sincerely think he should've just done what Republicans have done for years: pulled out the Jesus card. OK, he's Jewish, possibly converted to Muslim (gasp!!) --- but pull out the "religion" card and "poof"  - it all magically goes away because you've been "saved." From yourself, mostly, and apparently from any kind of punishment.

Works every time for Republicans. See Diaper-Dave Vitter, James Ensign, Newtie...just to name a few. Heck, on the (D) side, Clinton stood his ground even after impeachment! It's been done, Anthony. You should've sucked it up, zipped it up and hung on to your job.

Anyway, I was listening to the folk channel on the radio, and this little ditty popped up. Due credit: copyright Warner/Chappell Music, Inc., written by John Prine.

Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore

While digesting Reader's Digest in the back of a dirty book store
A plastic flag, with gum on the back fell out on the floor
Well, I picked it up and I ran outside, slapped it on my window shield
And if I could see old Betsy Ross I'd tell her how good I feel.

But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore
They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war
Now Jesus don't like killin', no matter what the reason's for
And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore.

Well I went to the bank this morning and the cashier he said to me
"If you join the Christmas club we'll give you ten of them flags for free."
Well, I didn't mess around a bit, I took him up on what he said
And I stuck them stickers all over my car and one on my wife's forehead.

But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore
They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war
Now Jesus don't like killin', no matter what the reason's for
And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore.

Well, I got my window shield so filled with flags I couldn't see
So, I ran the car upside a curb and right into a tree
By the time they got a doctor down I was already dead
And I'll never understand wy the man standing in the pearly gates said:

"But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore
We're already overcrowded from your dirty little war
Now Jesus don't like killin', no matter what the reason's for
And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore."

So. I get that Democrats want to hold to a higher standard. And normally, I'd say go for it. But there's a problem. Look at the Republicans: when you play with the pigs, you'll get muddy. They scream and holler that they are the "family values" party. And they go out and do exactly the opposite.

But they're in unison on the chorus, folks. The Democrats have to get in unison on the chorus. And our chorus has to reflect that we're fighting for people who can't fight: the poor, what's left of the middle class, those dependent upon "entitlements".... Can we please NOT make "entitlement" a dirty word? Yes, I AM ENTITLED TO IT because I've paid into it!

Democrats need to know that sometimes, you need to be just as obnoxious as your opponents. And also, all politicians should not Tweet. They end up looking like TWITS. Remember, if you don't want your mom to see it, keep it to yourself.

No comments: