Monday, June 20, 2011

Prayer Shawl Update...

So I've been working on the garnet prayer shawl. Working very hard, actually, because my friend's son is in Hospice care now.

If you have a mind to, please spare some good thoughts for this young man (he's 42, but that's young). He's dying, and his mother is making sure he has the kind of death he wants.

Her relatives are driving her batty, saying that he "sleeps too much" or "doesn't react when we talk to him" or "isn't eating enough."

Ok, let's get this straight. The man is dying of an inoperable brain tumor. The tumor started in the dura matter at the front of his brain, so the tumor effectively gave him a lobotomy. He's lost all "executive function" and it's a terminal condition. He. Is. Dying.

To those relatives: So, when are you coming out to relieve his parents for a short stint, so they can get away for a bit - maybe go grab an ice cream cone or just take a walk around the block?

Yeah. I thought so. Crickets.

Garnet prayer shawl
Here's the shawl so far. It's a 5-hank shawl, a little over 1,100 yards of yarn. It's a 100% pima cotton which is just gorgeous. I've alternated - 1 hank of Stockinette Stitch with 1 hank of "Organ Pipes" from my "perpetual knitting pattern calendar."

It's not washed, and not blocked. So you can't see the Stockinette 5-stitch border on either side; that'll keep that part from rolling. Click on the picture to get an up-close view of the Organ Pipes stitch.

We were finally able to sing & play at Mass this past weekend; because of my work schedule, I haven't been able to get there for a 4 p.m. Mass, since I work till 5 p.m... Anyway, my friend stopped to talk to someone after Mass, and then sat down to change her shoes (she wears organ shoes when she plays); I sat down and she just started in mid-conversation. And started crying. It wasn't sobbing. It was tears running down her face; her son was asking her if she was sure he would get into Heaven and "what happens if I don't?"

My heart breaks for her. She did the right thing and told him that of course he'd get there, because Jesus said, "In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you." That seemed to calm her son down.

I want you to think about what she's going through. Her son is dying in the prime of his life. Think about that, and then go talk to your kids. Hold her and her family in your thoughts; pray if you're inclined; send light -- please help her find some peace.

No comments: