Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Plug the d*&^ hole!

OK, so that's allegedly (at least according to Katie Couric) what President Obama said in regard to horrific-beyond-words total destruction of the Gulf coast along Louisiana.

There are so many things wrong with this scenario, and I will be the first to say I'm no expert. But even the experts can't seem to figure out how to "plug the d--- hole."

And is it only me, or is it a bit like the fox watching the henhouse to have BP in charge of this screw-up, since they're basically the ones who caused it?

If I ruled the world, here's what I'd do. I'd get every oil expert from every oil company in a room and tell them, "You don't get out of here till we get this figured out and stopped."

And as for BP? Well, no stock dividends, no executive pay till this is done; and all that excess cash (because BP's profits are obscene anyway) will go to pay the people whose lives you've ruined.

I have no idea how to shut the blasted thing off. All I know is that both BP and the previous administration screwed up. Nobody was watching as MMS cavorted with oil executives - or worse, they did watch and nobody gave a rat's rear end. Off-shore wells were being built willy-nilly and nobody bothered to ask, "Hey, what if this blows up?"

I mean really. I'm no scientist, but I do know that oil and water don't mix. And I do realize how flammable oil and gas are. That would be enough for even my limited experience; it'd give me cause to pause. But nope, not those brave (?) souls at BP. Profit, baby, profit.

Who cares what it may do to the land? We think the damage will be "minimal." Yep. There ya go. As long as BP and its investors get theirs, they don't care what the rest of us end up with.

And by the way, is it me or is everyone else astounded at the rush of countries who've come to our aid? Yeah, I thought so. Because of the position we've put ourselves in - or let me correct that: the position we've allowed our politicians to put us in - it's no wonder we've got nobody running to help us. They're all sitting back and watching.

As we implode.

For the sake of corprate greed.

I feel nauseated. And powerless. And I don't like it. I hope I'm not alone in this feeling. Because maybe if I'm not alone, those of us at the bottom of the power-pile just might be able to do something. No, I don't know what. But something. I'm open to suggestions, as long as this remains at the forefront of your thoughts: This was not a "natural" disaster and it didn't have to be inevitable. Someone - some corporation or corporations, since we know there are more of them involved - needs to not only pay for this but be prosecuted.

For blatant disregard of the planet. At least.

No comments: