Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Little Light Reading...

As I recall, one of the reasons I started this blog was to talk occasionally about the books I was reading. I see I haven't done that very much!! Well, here goes. I'm reading an absolutely delightful book called The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society which is written by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It's on the line of 84 Charing Cross Road - and if you haven't read that one, at least rent the movie because it's delightful. Anne Bancroft starred in it. The book was written by Helene Hanff. Both books are based along the timeline of WW II and are a series of letters. Hanff's book is correspondence mostly between herself and a bookseller in London (Hanff living in New York), while Guernsey includes more characters. This is totally summer reading. This is what you read when you want to "air out your brain" and clear the decks. This is a book that's destined to be re-read and one where, I believe, you can just open up and start reading (once you've read the whole thing through) at any point. I got a bunch of books for our upcoming vacation - and just because I'm addicted to books. No Kindle for me, thanks! Unless I can load a ton of reference books on it, but then 9 times out of 10, I can find something in the reference book (print version) much faster than in an electronic version! Anyway, this was a little bit of something I picked up mainly because of the title. And it's captivating. Borrow it from your library or pick it up at the book store. It's worth it!

No comments: