Friday, November 10, 2023

A Chance to Breathe?

Probably not... As I mentioned (late) in the last blog, Quinn has been diagnosed with Lymphoma and it's advanced. So right now, all we're doing is breathing. And waiting. There's nothing we can do in the way of chemo - she's 14, and it's in ALL her lymph nodes, so it's too far advanced. All we can do at this point is keep her comfortable, spoil her within reason, and spend time with her. 

She just celebrated her 14th birthday this past week, so we had some freeze-dried sprats, she licked my yogurt cup clean (vanilla & cinnamon), and she had lots of belly rubs. 

Lucky for us, we are able to mostly have one of us at home for her the whole day. So we don't know how much time she has, and that's the hard part. I mean, on a metaphysical level, NOBODY knows how much time they have, but we're numbering Quinn's time in weeks, not years. So there's that.  All we can do - or hope to do - is time it so that she's not suffering. Our vet usually says, "better a day early than a day late." It's really hard. Elkhounds are notorious for "not telling." A very stoic breed. We shall see. 

The Knitting...

Well, I have progress to report on what may be my oldest WIP (or at least the oldest I can lay my hands on. I know there's a lap robe and a shawl that I can't find, so those 2 are still MIA) - the Before & After Scarf, which is now called The Bias Before & After Scarf and now the beads are an alternative. 

I really don't like Provisional Cast On - and the first one, I will say, was INCREDIBLY clunky. I think I used a yarn that was too big, compared to the Silky Alpaca Lace (70% baby alpaca, 30% silk), by Classic Elite Yarns. I've used Classic Elite Yarn a couple of times, and the only thing I might have done differently is to knit this on bamboo needles. I'm using Addi Turbos, and those suckers are SLICK. They're meant to be smooth, and the fact that this is an open fabric and the needles are huge compared to the yarn? It can get a little slippery. So far, though, I haven't dropped any stitches. 

The reason it's called "before and after" is basically because before, it looks like a wrinkled rag. AFTER the blocking, the magic is truly exposed. As you can see in the picture at the right, it looks like a hot mess till you block it. That little wad of yarn in the picture is what you use to bind off. You set aside about 2 feet (I did more like 2.5 feet because I'm just that extra) and tie it up and out of your way at both the beginning and the end so you have it to add the beads to the finish. I'll get to use my blocking wires with this project! A few new skills to learn, with the provisional cast on, the beaded bind off and blocking with wires. 

The peacock colorway, the first one of the 2 scarves in the pattern, is the one I chose to do first. and this was my long-time "travel project." I wasn't in any hurry, and would bring it whenever I was going to a bunch of trade shows, and this peacock also has the distinction of being The Project I Took to Switzerland... I have pictures (I'll have to dig them up) of me knitting in various places in France and Switzerland with this project. 

I finished it yesterday, and I really am now hooked on the beading technique of using a crochet hook (see what I did there??) -- the jewel-toned beads for that scarf are really pretty. Can't wait to block this one!

I did start the green one; I'm not sure exactly what shade this is. At first, I remembered it as more "lime" but now, I'm thinking a bright sage. Opinions??? Take a peek below and right...what do you think? There's only a color number, so I guess we have to use our imaginations. 

I initially said, "screw it, I'm putting the beads right on the hem as I cast on," but then, a cooler moment prevailed. The purpose of the provisional cast on is to make each bind off identical... so I sucked it up and learned how to do it over the needle, so it's a lot neater than the first one I did. 

The scarves are knit on the bias, so it's an increase at the beginning and a decrease at the end. It's amazing how nicely the green is knitting up. Of course, it hasn't sat jammed into a project bag for 12-ish years, too... that might have something to do with it. Let's put it this way: I probably have 3-4 copies of this pattern just because I've had it in the works for so long and kept losing the paper pattern! 

The idea behind the project is that you can wear either or both. The one is a hand-painted and the other is a coordinating solid. Looking at the green, I probably should have pulled a light blue or a lilac to go with the peacock, but the green does match the peacock...I just don't wear a lot of green, so it might be a challenge. The plus of this, though, is that the beads for the green are a beautiful peridot color. So they will look spectacular once it's done. The scarves are in a lace-weight yarn, but I'm using a size 7 needle, so it will be a fairly open fabric, kind of like the Sally Mellville "Wingspan" which I also did in alpaca (but no silk in that yarn). The beauty of this is that alpaca has a slight 'halo' effect, and it's incredibly warm, even in a lace-weight. And it will drape beautifully. 

I know I was talking about the Drops sweater, but I want to chug a way on this for a bit and see if I can churn it out. It's kind of mindless, and with everything going on with Quinn, right now I need mindless. 

Speaking of which, I finished the last 3 washcloths. The person for whom they are planned "doesn't like to receive gifts," but this is a relatively "un-gifty" thing. It's practical and I don't care if they use them on their face or on their dishes...either way works for me. 

I chose tones of blue because I understand that's kind of the theme of their home, so there's that. 

And for now, I am officially D.O.N.E. with wash cloths and knitting with cotton. My hands hurt. 

I have re-stocked the cloths for my own use, along the way I've knitted 6 for Xmas gifts, and these 3 as an extra gift. I think I can check "washcloths" off my list for 2023. 

The Tea...

No, I'm not spilling any tea. I have none to spill... 

I have been accustomed to drinking chammomile tea at bedtime, but it's lately been aggravating my allergies, which is really annoying. I haven't slept well since Raisa got sick and passed, and now with everything else, I'm so scattered. I don't need to not sleep. I read about Butterfly Pea Flower tea, and I just loved the idea of blue tea. 

I didn't know that research has been done talking about the effects it had as a sleep aid. High in magnesium, helps with blood pressure, helps to relax you... though honestly, any herbal tea is, in my opinion, relaxing. Hot beverages are inherently relaxing. 

So I've been experimenting for (a) the right TIME to drink this; and (b) if it makes any difference in my sleep. I have noticed that if I drink it too close to bedtime, I'm up at 3 a.m. to pee, even if I'm in a rare moment of sleep...who needs that? I don't think I've done it enough to determine if it works, but I'm sure that, as the weather gets colder, I will drink more tea at night. 

Funny, the mug I used to like to use with these "strong colored" teas (like the rose hibiscus, which is a deep pink)... it broke. And I broke it. I was washing it, I said, "Self, put this in the sink first so you don't bump it," and of course, I bumped it, and it broke into a bunch of pieces. Crap. 

Random Picture...

It's pretty much Fall, though the temps are kinda spring-ish -- till they're not. And it being Illinois, this can happen within one day. But I got to "Birken-SOCK" and I love the way my new sandals and the orange socks kind of match the leaves in the yard. 

Who says I have no fashion sense? Well, probably a lot of people, but do I look like I actually care? Nope. 

And I have hand-knitted socks, so there... 

When I bought the sandals, the leather looked a bit darker when I chose the color. Not sure if it'll get darker or if it will stay this color. I am stuck with them, however, because I'll wear them till they fall apart, which I did with my other ones. 

I love to wear my socks, and when the weather cooperates, I do wear them with the Birkenstocks. I know there are these "transparent" shoes and clogs, but I'm sorry, they seem sweaty to me. Ugh. No thanks. 


No comments: