Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Resurrection...

There's a part in the Episcopal funeral rite which says "in sure and certain hope of the resurrection..." and the words themselves are beautiful and give much comfort to those who have lost a loved one. 

Well, Sunday? No resurrection in sight. 

I'm not talking about Jesus. I'm not talking about funerals, and I'm not talking about church. 

I'm talking about our nearly 30-year old upright freezer. In the basement. The one that "grew up" with the kids. Old Faithful. 

Hubby said to me, "I think the freezer door didn't close completely..." which isn't just a silly excuse; sometimes the door just doesn't close unless you really pay attention to it. 

Nope.

It was dying. No, there are no pictures of us in action; this one of the coolers is all you get... 

This was an "all hands" emergency, on Easter Sunday, to gather up our embarassingly large stash of coolers, and get it empty and unplugged. No hope of leaving it all till the morning, because we weren't sure it would even still be running and it was better to be safe with the food. 

We did keep putting off the "inventory" of what was in there, so I guess this was the freezer's hint that it was time. We'll do another purge (ugh - a package of beef liver from 2010??) when we get the new one. 

We found 3 turkey carcasses, several bags of buttercream frosting that I'd stashed in hopes of using them again (fat chance), and two large bags of chopped up tomatoes that I was looking for the last time we made sauce. I knew they were somewhere!

I guess it was decent timing, just wish that the "No Appliances Croaking on a Holiday" thing was in place. Isn't there a rule?

The Knitting...

So in order to liberate a few coolers, I did a little stash-arranging. As you might remember, my friend D gave me a large portion of her stash, as she's drifted away from knitting. When I brought the yarn home, I stashed it in coolers, in case there were "visitors." 

Not that D is prone to "visitors," but the yarn did live in her garage for a bit, so one never knows. It's a sensible precaution. Normally, I'd have bagged it all and tossed it in a freezer, but our freezers are all in use. Hubby sort of "assumed" the cookie freezer (which is a small one that we had only dedicated to cookies, just out of convenience). He promises that he'll relinquish that one and once again we can have a cookie freezer -- or maybe a "yarn freezer," just in case. 

I found some beautiful Liberty Wool, which was a project she started. That may be frogged. It's a bit hard for me to get my hands on Liberty Wool lately. I've done two pair of mitts with it, and I really liked them. Toasty, but not overbearing. So maybe a shawl? Yeah, I know - it seems that all I knit are shawls. OK, maybe, if there's enough there, a bolero? I have a nice pattern for one that fits well, and I can use one of my "crazy" buttons on it. Maybe it's a cross between a bolero and a vest? I don't know, but I did just wear it the other day over a light mock-neck long-sleeved t-shirt, and since I knitted it in cotton, I can carry it over to several seasons. 

And I found a DK-weight partial sweater front. I'll have to see what's what on that one. Luckily, it's a self-patterning "Icelandic" kind of thing. I'd never have courage to try one of those. What's interesting is that it's in a lovely colorway of dusty pink, grey and ivory - one of my favorite combos. D and I often have similar tastes in colorways. 

And speaking of this stash, I'm gonna have to finish up that Secret Project (I have about 2" to go and then I can block it). There's enough yarn in D's stash to keep me busy for several years. That doesn't even begin to dent MY stash. 

I will admit to being intimidated by the amount of yarn that's available to me in my own house. That sounds awfully "first world problem," doesn't it? So it's time to buckle down and knit it up. I can stash several baby blankets, and I'd really like to do a BSJ (baby surprise jacket) and perhaps use some of D's gift stash on an adult Surprise jacket. 

The Secret Project...

Like I said, I'm within sight of the finish line on this one. I'm thinking that perhaps the one side will be a bit longer after blocking. It's quite true about tension; I've gotten to this part of the project after my sister's death, having to deal with some other health problems and lots of stress...it all shows up in the knitting. I bought the fabric for the lining of the stockinette parts; I did end up with fleece. It just seems easier to assemble, the fleece is washable and won't need ironing, but will be thick enough to hold its shape. But not too thick. 

I promise I will show you when it's done. I'm actually getting more and more excited as I get closer to the finish. I'm thinking it'll be blocked by Monday and finished sometime next week, with the linings in place and all. 

Mostly, I'm going to be happy to have it done. It seems like, because of the advanced deadline, this is the only thing I've been working on. Seems like? Actually, it HAS been the only thing. And I'm kind of itching to dive into my newly acquired stash and see what it entails. 

The picture above is some lovely alpaca + silk. It's almost 1,500 yards, so there's a sweater or pullover in there somewhere. And there may be more of it in one of the bags. Heaven knows what was on D's mind.

The Yoga...

I did it. I finally jumped in on a prenatal training. The full thing: 85 hours. I've taken a few "what do do when a pregnant person walks into your class" workshops, but I do get a lot of calls for prenatal classes. (Hey, maybe there's yarn in D's stash that I could use to whip up baby hats for my soon-to-be students??)

So I'd been eyeballing a training, but it was up past Chicago. I wasn't interested in hiking up there weekly (or the weekend versions) 15 years ago, and I haven't changed my mind. It's also too costly now, because gas prices are up. It's too far to commute, so I'd have to get a hotel, there's meals... just too much cash. 

They ended up, in The Plague Times, expanding it to a hybrid model, so I don't have to go up there. All I have to do is park my butt in my own studio and attend virtually. Thank goodness!

I think this will help; I'm not kidding you when I tell you that The Plague did a number on our studio and it's going to be a hard slog to get ourselves back to where we were, and hopefully beyond. 

My goal is ongoing prenatal classes, workshops at least bi-monthly, if not monthly, a rope wall, and hopefully two more: a vinyasa class on Saturdays, and a class in Spanish. I do get that request, as well, and we don't have anyone who can do that right now. 

The Reading...

I'm on an Elizabeth George kick, and am continuing with the Inspector Lynley series. I know that people have issues regarding the casting of the characters in the TV series. I personally like Nathaniel Parker and Sharon Small in the roles. I didn't like the "dumpy" portrayal of Barbara in the books; Barbara is smart and a good cop. Yes temperamental, but that's part of the character that I like. I guess I identify with being a bit of a grump occasionally. 

I'm also reading "The Complete Surprise" by Cully Swansen, EZ's granddaughter. It's a dissection of the Baby Surprise and the multiple variations. 

What's scary is that "use your brain" wasn't just some catch-phrase. EZ's instructions are "scant," to be generous. I'm going to have to YouTube a few things. I like to read my knitting, but I'll admit: I like instructions. I admire the fact that she says that knitters have brains and can do it. I have brains. Just not sure I have the courage required! 

Random Picture...

I bought two small rolling pins from a Polish business, where they're donating proceeds to Ukraine refugee organizations. As you know, the Poles, having been in the position of being invaded many times in their own history, have stepped up to help Ukranians who are fleeing their country in the wake of the invasion by that absolute maniac. 

I can't wait to make butter cookies and shortbread with these. Of course, you use your regular rolling pin to roll out your dough, but you only make the batches about 7" wide. Then, one pass of one of these "patterning" rolling pins, lightly, and you're good to go with a cookie cutter. I mean, there's a little pressure, but not a lot. The mushroom-shaped brush is to clean it off after use. I have to look up whether I need to oil them before use. I know flouring won't be particularly useful, because you want as much of the detail as possible. 

I love to support small business operations, so here's a link for you, if you want to give a very unique gift: PastryMade - for what you're buying, it's really a cool idea for the baker in your life. 










Looking for yoga but not ready to come into a studio? 

We have Zoom options. 

Contact us at info@just-breatheyoga.com or text/call (815) 546-2770 to find the class that best suits you. 

If you're in the Will County, IL area, we're starting workshops again! Keep an eye on the website for the Chakra workshop, FACE YOGA (Yes, it's a thing!) and Upper Back Health workshop, as well as the Ocean of Devotion coming back soon. 

Private sessions (in-person or Zoom), small group classes (in-person or Zoom) and all our classes are open for drop-ins. 



No comments: