Friday, July 03, 2020

Oh Yay. Fourth of July Weekend...

I wasn't sleeping anyway. May as well make it a challenge to see how many days in a row one can go without sleep.

Did I tell you that I hate this holiday? With a passion bordering on obsession? 

This is the girls before the hubbub. I can't get a picture of them now because Tippi is zonked out in the hallway and Quinn is hiding either under the massage table or under my desk, or crouched in the corner of the bathroom. She's already had 1 dose of Sileo; I am giving her wayyyy under the regular dose because Norwegian Elkhounds seem to not adapt well to the "regular" dose - and I can give her a dose every 2 hours. 

It's not dark yet. It'll get much worse then. 

I can't wait. 

(Did you get the snark in my voice? I hope so...)

The "Tooth" of the Matter...

I had (finally) the oral surgery on Tuesday. Apparently, not only do my roots "go to China" but I have an "iron jaw." My jaw wasn't ready to let go of the tooth. So I'm sore down my neck, almost as if you have "swollen glands" (remember those from being a kid?). 

Did you know that a moistened tea bag can control the bleeding? I used decaf green, because green is also astringent and I figured it would "tighten things up" a bit. So Tuesday I had to sleep sitting up; I was bleeding pretty good. Wednesday, I taught yoga, just basically sitting there talking my student through her sequence. Thursday, I was bruised and achy despite icing the jaw several times a day and swishing salt water; so my student Thursday suggested we just stay home. More ice; more salt water swishing. 

Funny enough (though the Kid doesn't think so)... Kid #2 had to have a root canal. I swear - we do go to the dentist regularly. Or at least he went regularly as a kid. I go regularly. Good excuse; Kid moved out of town and took awhile to find a dentist...ANYWAY, root canal, and they keep going, and going, and going. Apparently, long roots run in the family. Kid is not amused. 

I have a bone graft because the roots were nearly touching the mandibular nerve? Maybe trigeminal? I don't know. But it was technically an issue. So because the ultimate goal is an implated molar, I had to have the area "built up" with bone grafts before I can get the screw put in. 

Then my dentist puts on the tooth. 

If I stop to think about it, it all makes me queasy. I think the oral surgeon (who was great, by the way) took my tongue and wrapped it around my right ear. It hurts to eat. 

I figure, this taking almost a year? I can lose the COVID weight. Because the whole thing grosses me out. For the first week, I'm doing things like tepid tea; lots of tepid water; gelato (hey, it works) and soft eggs. Because I have to wear my bottom retainer to keep the teeth from shifting, I will be less likely to nosh. 

Instant COVID weight loss...

This is instead of a bridge; with all the time and expense I put in with braces, I'd really rather have this done, even though it grosses me out, than to have a bridge. That just aggravates the teeth ahead and behind of the one replaced. Keep it simple, if possible. 

The Knitting...

So I'm almost done with Section 8 of the Breathe and Hope shawl. I have 4 rows left; I'm probably going to finish it tonight. I'd love to finish the whole shawl this weekend. And FYI, I'm planning to do absolutely NOTHING on Monday. Except teach, that evening. 

This section is quicker to knit and it seems to have a definite rhythm to it that the other sections didn't. I don't know why. It just does. I can also see the "ekg" blips which I wasn't able to see in the other sections that used the K1b. 

Still not sure if I'll keep it; I have a couple prospects of people who'd like it. And I'm cool for giving this a new home if someone wants it. 

You can see in this picture the "ekg blips" that I'm talking about. It's kind of a cool feature and with the pink, it really pops. The blue not so much, but I still like the play of the neon over the top of the hand-dyed periwinkle/blue sock yarn here. 

I'm anxious to (a) finish one I started last year for Xmas; and (b) start on a t-shirt for summer (yes, I know it's July already). Plus continue to work toward finishing up the "singles" socks. 

I have a decent amount of yarn to work through, and I need to make it into stuff. My friend D, who I helped with online voter registration today, is going through a downsize, and she's offered me a set of her fixed circular needles. Fixed circular needles are the ones that you can't change the cable length on. 

I'm always using those, unless I'm knitting socks. In that case, I still love my DPNs. (Double-pointed needles for those who don't knit) I rarely use the straights I have; just occasionally, if I'm doing a quick project like a washcloth. 

How Does My Garden Grow...

The kale is doing well. Not quite sure about the Broccoli Rabe (above the kale). We're about ready to harvest the kale, and I'm fine with Hubby chopping it up and freezing it. 

I don't really like a raw kale salad - even if I could chew it right now. But I'll use it in smoothies. I'll also use it in soups and stews and if it's frozen, it won't matter if I saute it with a little garlic and leek, with bacon fat. 

Because, why not? Recipe is below... It's yummy. 

And the tomatoes are starting. These are the beefsteak. The cherry tomatoes are on the deck. We have 2 beefsteak plants, and somehow ended up with FOUR cherry tomato plants. 

Four. 

There are TWO of us in this house. 

Luckily, I can also roast the cherry tomatoes. Yummmmmmmm. 

Sauteed Kale

4 c. kale, stripped of stems, diced into bite-size chunks
1 c. leeks, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 c. baby portobellos, chopped (no stems)
Salt & pepper to taste
1 T. bacon fat or butter
1/2 c. water or veggie broth
1 T. golden balsamic vinegar

Heat the bacon fat or butter in a large saute pan over med-high heat. Add the leeks, stirring gently till they get slightly transparent. Use a slotted spatula to remove them and set them aside. Add the portobellos, saute till they're tender. Remove those, too. 

Add the chopped kale and saute - about 4 - 5 minutes, depending on how big your kale is. Till it wilts and turns bright green; gets fork-tender. Then add back the leeks, mushrooms and add the garlic. Mix everything around in the pan and let the leeks get a little softer, the garlic a little warmer, and the 'shrooms warmer. **You can add a bit more bacon fat or butter here if you need it. 

After everything's nice and tender, add the water and clamp a lid on it to steam it for 3 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. **NOTE: The timing for this dish is entirely dependent on the kale...just don't burn the garlic or leeks. You won't enjoy it. 

Splash around the Golden Balsamic at the finish. Serve alone, or over quinoa or wild rice. Or serve as a side dish. 

This is a good general starting point. You can add chopped bacon, or chunks of leftover ham if you want. You can also add chicken as extra protein, or garbanzo beans if you want to keep it on the lighter side. 

Random Picture...

I like leaving chalk messages. They're not high art. Not even decent calligraphy. But it's a little thing. 


This is today's message. I've chalked "thanks to delivery folks" and #BLM and a few other things. If it rains, it goes away. No big deal. 

Impermanence is ok in this case. 

The boomers are going off. Quinn has had her second dose of Sileo. The diffusers are running. 

Someone's shooting off the "pretty" ones, but mostly, it's just the bang-booms. 

Raisa is crashed out here next to me. Tippi is in the hall. In a moment, I'm going to refill the diffusers; I have TWO going in the bathroom. One has Lavender in it, but the other just has plain water. I just want the "white noise" in that room. 

Both hall fans are on Speed #3. My front room fan is on Speed #2 and Hubby's desk fan is also at high speed. I'm not blaring the TV. He's got to sleep. 

I, on the other hand, am going to go ice my jaw some more, watch the rest of a Midsomer Murder episode and see how long the chaos lasts. 








No comments: