Friday, November 09, 2018

Not Quite a Hat...

The good news is that I didn't finish a hat. 

You read that correctly. 

See, it's this way: I was an election judge and it was the mid-terms. Well; I've done this before and usually mid-terms are a fantastic place to sit there staring at each other and eat too many donuts get knitting done. 

Mid-terms 2018, though? A very different story. And I figured I'd also toss out a challenge; maybe it didn't affect me personally, but I'm hoping it spurred some folks off the couch. That being said, it was impressive to see the voters come out to vote on a rainy, freezing, crappy day. 

And we were busy. Didn't do much knitting at all, and that's ok with me. Because I also didn't eat all that many donuts either (three donut holes, if you please).    

We had over 55% turn-out statewide. We had, in our precinct, 430 people. Kept us busy, and we registered 5 new voters. 

My challenge, issued on Facebook, was this: "Don't let me finish this hat! Come out and vote, and prevent me from finishing the hat -- can you do that?"

Well, I don't know who took me up on it, because nobody I know as a FB friend showed up. But about 5 p.m., the hat got put away for good because we had 2 hours of solid people. 

By the way, in this blue colorway? A few things I don't necessarily like... The yarn has more of a "halo" than the red did. So stitch definition is a bit wonky. I'm wondering if it'll improve once I get past the ribbing. Speaking of ribbing: Ktbl is a royal pain in the caboose. I'm also doing one more row of ribbing because I had one extra stitch, and I k2tog and started the NEXT row as Row 1 of the ribbing. Nobody will ever know. You'll keep that under your hat, right? 

This is getting red stripes. It's so striking and picks up the little bits of red in the blue yarn. I'm hoping that the lack of halo on the red yarn won't be too much of a contrast with the blue. 

It was fantastic because we were so busy. Blue Wave notwithstanding, I was so happy with the turnout! 

And on top of this, I got squishy mail and I want to sit and pet it and squeeze it and call it George (10 points if you get the reference...). 

This is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT Mulberry Silk from Expression Fiber Arts. It was on special because it's not quite up to their standards; but I'm thinking it could be a really great yarn for the Chocolate Diamonds pattern. Go here for the link to the company and look through the gorgeous free patterns. 

I'm hoping that, with the 100% silk, it doesn't collapse on me, but I also might look for a shawl pattern as a back-up. This yarn just glows. Because it's silk, I don't think I'd do a sweater, even if I'd purchased enough. I think it would hang in a not-so-cool way. A shawl or capelet might work better; we'll see. The cowl will come in handy with just about everything I own, so maybe that'll just work out and I can finish it up. 

Notorious RBG...

Someone mail bubble wrap to Justice Ginsburg! She fell and broke 3 ribs; but she's already back at work. God love her. 

I wrote her a thank-you and get well card. 

Yeah, it's fan mail. I don't care. Yeah, I'm kind of gushing. I don't care. 

I want her to survive as long as she's able to do so. We need her because the court's already tilted too far to one side and growing up, I never thought they were "sides." They were the ultimate court, and they were beyond reproach. As we now know - that was blasted to smithereens with the Kavanaugh hearings and ultimate shoving down our throats confirmation, at which many of us are still gagging.

So I thought I'd write her a note. You never know. A hand-written note is a nice thing to do, and the support may just make her day. If she ever sees it. And who knows about that, too? Maybe she won't, and some staffer will look at it and send me a form letter. Or do nothing at all, and I'll never know. 

I don't care. It made me feel like I'm doing something positive for someone I admire. It's all about just doing something positive, especially when you're not feeling so positive about everything else going on. Send her some loves, folks!!

The Banner & The Bottle...

Two disparate things, but oh well... The banner is moving along; I've ironed it out and rolled both pieces up. This weekend, it's "tree time" because I have to get it to the church the week after. Luckily, no more elections... 

This is why you do a quick basted stitch up the side of cotton. The blasted thing raveled like crazy. The quilt fabric didn't ravel hardly at all, but it's kind of meant to not do that. Duck cloth, on the other hand? Pffffffffffffffthhhhhhhh. Right up the side. 

It took quite a bit of time to iron this out, and I doubled it only because I didn't have the room to iron it in one layer. My steam iron got a workout that it hasn't had in ages. 

I don't iron stuff. Who does, anymore? I mean, most of what I wear to work consists of yoga clothes, so when they're washed, I just dry 'em and hang them up. 

All of my "work" clothes are really, really casual. The couple of blouses I have are permanent-press, and I wear them over tank tops. Layers, kids. Layers. 

So this weekend: measure out the main part of the banner and stitch it up. Make a tree and at least pin it to the background. 

Should be easy. I've got time. 

The bottle - I got this at the rummage sale a few years ago, and thought I'd use it as a bud vase. But it never quite got there. Instead, I use it with the orchids. It's the perfect size for watering. 

Makes me feel so "Martha Stewart" to have this little bottle on my plant shelf. I think I paid a quarter for it. 

Speaking of the orchids, I lost the rootless one. It molded on the remaining base - I knew I should've kept a better eye on it, and I'm sort of sad. But I still have the keiki (the baby)...Hoping that it's going to be ok. 

It's a little more tricky to do these in glass vases, but I think overall they'll be healthier. I just have to get my rhythm as to watering and humidifying. 

Let it Snow...

The first snow of the season - the first significant snow of the season, I should say, happened today. Everyone was freaking out about it yesterday. 

Bulletin: We're in Illinois. It's November. Get over it. 

I'm leaving the pumpkin out for a bit longer; someone's eating it so I'll just let them have their food source. It's no skin off my nose; and it keeps whatever it is from digging up my garden. 

Enjoy, buddy!

The mums had a frosting on them, and the parsley is now toast... I think we got the last of it from a few weeks ago. 

We have a frozen flamingo! I'm leaving him out just for comic relief. Hubby just came in from the dogs' "Last Call" and he says it's "stinkin' cold" out there. The winds are nearly 20 miles per hour, and while we're done with snow for a while, it's still a bit nippy. 

Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny, but no higher than the mid-20s. 

Again - it's November. Time for All the Wool Things and hot cocoa, and soups and stews. 

And snow.

Random Picture...

This is, of course, Quinn. It's her birthday. She's 9. 


I can't believe it. 

But when I see her in the hallway, and I'm not quite paying attention? I think it's Tippi. 

She's still a tail-wagging, wriggle-butt and loves her momma... 

This weekend sometime, she'll get her sardines and we'll celebrate her. 

She's my snuggle-bug and it makes me a little sad to see the grey round her muzzle. She can still, however, jump about 4 feet in the air. 


















No comments: