Sunday, June 10, 2018

Moving Right Along...

So we're up to Memorial Day. We spent the day with J.'s family, minus mom. Not too chuffed about that; not like the kids are engaged or anything. 

Getting there was a trick! We were supposed to follow J., but she took a quick U-turn and rather left us in the dust! Kid #2 wasn't happy; we got there, but late. The house is beautiful and they have a nice, tight family. 

The night before, to try to sleep, we diffused my 3 favorites: Lavender, Cedarwood and Copaiba. It was certainly cool enough to sleep, but with the condo backing up to a busy highway, there was a lot of traffic noise. 

Yes, I do travel with my oils and a diffuser! It's a nice way to make the space feel like home, and the white noise of the diffuser is a good way to fall asleep in a strange place. 

We started the day with breakfast again -- so nice to be on a regular schedule of meals. This was the ENORMOUS blueberry scone I got at the Farmer's Market. I also had some dates, which I really enjoy. 

Those with my mug of tea? I was in a nice meditative state while waiting for Kid #2 to wake up. I love a peaceful morning. If I knew it wouldn't have awakened him, I'd have gone outside to sit on the patio, but the door to the condo was a bit sticky, and I didn't want to rouse the whole house. 

Needless to say, I had knitting, reading and just sitting in my own silence to keep me occupied and centered. It was a nice way to start the morning - which I don't often get in my "daily" life, since I'm having to leave for work on the early side and wrestle with traffic. 

The night before, I tried the apple cobbler. I'm not exactly sure what went wrong. I know that high altitude baking can be different, and a cobbler is about the most basic thing to make. But this bugger was a dead weight, lead-lined disaster. A waste of good apples, actually. I was sorely disappointed, because (a) I love a good cobbler; and (b) I really wanted to do something for the family pot-luck. I like to bring food. I enjoy cooking and baking, and with the limited kitchen, I could only do so much. Baking was going to be it. 

Except it wasn't. I know what I did wrong: I followed the recipe. It said to cut in the butter till crumbly. What I should have done -- what I usually do -- is melt the butter and stir it all together. That's what I get for following a recipe. I usually never do -- and look what happened. Sadly, the CPS Butter Cookies were the best we could do. 

And really, it was ok, I suppose. We had a great sliced Italian beef dish, courtesy of Kid #1, a lovely salad, a curried potato dish, some homemade potato-onion bread (J's uncle made it), and lots of good conversation. The house and grounds are extensive. Her dad has a lot of art in the yard. 

My grand-dog, Fee, was a pistol. The dogs had an acre or so to run around in, and it was warm. Actually, later that afternoon, it did rain for about 10 minutes, and then the temperature dropped. Anyway, Fee decided that the fountain was a good place for a drink. 

We left, and had the evening to relax. Strangely enough, I was starting to have tummy troubles. I wasn't sure if it was the after-effects of that veggie burrito from a few days ago. The food we ate at the house was fine; I'm sure it wasn't that. 

Knitting...

You'd think I forgot about knitting, right? Well, overall, I did probably a half inch on the green traveling socks. And since I've been home, I haven't yet put the finishing fringe on the one prayer shawl, but I'm going to get to that this week. 

Also, I'm on Point Number 14 of the Close to You Shawl. There are 18 points total, so I'm almost done. There will be pictures next time. 

The gal I work with is on a "let's walk at lunch" kick, which is cutting into my knitting time! So the green socks are taking a bit longer than I'd like. 

Cooking...

This is what I came up with for the church luncheon we had. It's a really nice Shrimp & Rice Medley. Looking at it now, I should have distributed the tomatoes a little better for the picture... Oh well.

Shrimp & Rice Medley

Rice Select Royal Blend (Texmati Lt. Brown rice, Red Quinoa, Roasted Freekeh)
Water
2 cubes veggie broth
Salt & Pepper
1 c. frozen peas
2 t. Penzey's Sunny Paris
1 t. chopped pimiento
1 bottle Simply Dressed Lemon Vinaigrette
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
10-15 large cooked shrimp, cut into chunks

Make 2 batches of rice, according to the package directions, using the veggie broth as an additional flavoring. Warm the peas. Mix both together and cool (overnight, if possible). 

After it's cooled, place it into a large bowl and break it up a bit. Add salt, pepper, Penzey's spices, pimiento, and shrimp. Stir together. Add halved tomatoes and stir gently, adjusting seasoning if needed. Add about half the bottle of the vinaigrette and mix well. Chill. 

This serves about 10 people. 

I loved it. Everyone else did, too. Freekeh is a grain: young wheat, rubbed and fire-roasted. Tastes a bit like barley, but better. 

Random Picture...

I've been wearing a Bellabeat for the past month or so. It's not a "fitness trainer" per se, but more of a "wellness tracker." I usually wear it like a necklace, but I've used the bracelet option (this is the fitness bracelet, and tonight I have the leather one on), and the top part there, that looks like a leaf? It's a clip on - you can use it like a pin or the like. 

I like it. At first, I was a bit disconcerted that it doesn't have a heart monitor on it. But as you read about it and see what the point is, you realize that it keeps you on track for movement, hydration, sleep and meditation. "Lite" so to speak. I could have gotten a lot more sophisticated things. But I like my watch; I still do analog, thanks!

And I like the flexibility of wearing this several different ways. I like being able to track my meditations (though I'm not liking the voice on the guided ones - I'd rather do my own). 

I find that I move more. I find that I'm enjoying seeing my progress. And I love that this has a battery! No charging every 3 days! 

Fitness or wellness trackers aren't for everyone. But if you find one you like, it'll definitely give you a little incentive to move a bit more. And most of us can use more of that. 





No comments: